OK, PatientHornsFan (PHF) and I believe that John Brantley is going to be true to his word and sign his letter of intent to play at the University of Texas. A -LOT- of talk lately on this site says that he will decommit and play for OU. I will lay out the reasons why I think he will absolutely not play for OU and you can give me your rebuttal. Or, you can agree with me. Either way. I want to hear arguements for both sides, but I have this feeling that only PHF and I will be the ones defending John. Lay it on me... Here are my reasons:
- John Brantley is a good kid. By all accounts, he seems like an honest and trustworthy person who is mature far beyond his years. There is nothing to indicate that he is anything like Peri-loser.
- John is a better QB now than Colt McCoy is right now. Not to say that Colt isn't growing, but as far as talent is concerned, there is just no comparison. I realize that Colt is the current QB and has had a year and a half in the system and knows that plays. Put them on even ground and I think Brantley out performs Colt. Just my opinion.
- A lot of talk has been the opportunity to play right away in Norman. The fact is, John doesn't want to play in his first year. That is one of the big reasons why he chose Texas. No pressure to play in the first year. Do you honestly think Bob Stoops, of all people, will not pressure this kid to play right away? Imagine the push the Sooner faithful would give to get this guy on the field in year 1.
- More talk is that Bob Stoops is friends of the family. Ok, so? Stoops is still an ass. That gives him more of an opportunity to know that. Besides the fact that if loyalty to friends was the issue, he would be going to Florida. His dad, uncle, and current HS coach all played QB at Florida. Anyone go to or care about OU? No.
- John has developed serious friendships with the current class of commits that he will join on campus next year. They are constantly in contact and have developed a chemistry before even attending school. He wants to play with these guys.
- Tray Allen. What QB in his right mind wouldn't want to play behind this guy?
- The rest of the O-line commits. Seriously? This is widely considered the best o-line recruiting class in more than a decade. Again, What QB in his right mind wouldn't want to play behind that confort? Does OU's O-line bring a comfortable feeling to the Sooner faithful? I doubt it.
- Did you see the Red River Rivalry game? I did. What I saw was the changing of the guard. OU is no longer the top dog in the conference. Texas is. Texas is still not out of the hunt to repeat. Yes, it's a long shot, but we won last year, can wind up playing for it again, and with the current class already committed, will be set up for a long run at the top of the polls. That's exposure. If he has any plans at all for a future in the NFL, he will get much more national exposure at Texas than he will at OU. I base that statement on the fact that OU has been slipping, Stoops will probably bolt within a couple of years, and the OU recruiting is taking a hit for it. That means less talent to play with, thereby decreasing national exposure. It may be only a couple games a year, but 2 games a year times 4 years is more than half a season. Even if he only stayed 3 of his 4 eligible years thats half a season.
- Probably most important of all, and cannot be understated. ALL of the rumors of his possible decommittment are coming from Oklahoma. Since when did we start trusting any rumors coming from that state?