I know everyone has already been discussing all the scenarios that can occur, but I thought this article completely clarified our hopes of advancing to the Big 12 Championship.
It doesn't matter what Texas does against A&M (though a win would be best), as long as OSU can upset Oklahoma, Texas will go to San Antonio to play for the title (against a high quality team in either a 1 loss-Mizzou or a possibly undefeated Kansas)and a chance at an automatic BCS Bowl Birth.
With Oklahoma's 34-27 loss Saturday night at Texas Tech, there is a chance for a three-way tie in the final Big 12 South standings.
•If OU, Texas and Oklahoma State all finish 5-3 in conference play, Texas will represent the South in the Big 12 championship game at San Antonio on Dec. 1.
•There is no scenario in which OSU can advance to the Big 12 title game.
•If OU and Texas finish 6-2 in conference play, the Sooners win the South thanks to their 28-21 victory over the Longhorns.
Here is the Big 12's tiebreaking procedure from the Big 12 rules book:
•Divisional champion: The (eligible) team with the best winning-percentage of all divisional members in its eight conference games is declared the divisional champion and representative to the Big 12 Conference Football Championship Game. A team ineligible under NCAA or Big 12 rules for postseason (bowl) competition shall not compete in the Big 12 championship game.
•Divisional tiebreakers: The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:
If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative
If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
- The records of the three teams will be compared against each other.
- The records of the three teams will be compared within their division.
- The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (fourth, fifth and sixth).
- The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
- The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative.
- The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
- The representative will be chosen by draw.
By John Rohde
Texas Fan For Life!