While the Mens swimming and Diving team won their own invitational this month, and are right now training to get ready for a dual with defending National Champions Auburn in January, their coaches were signing another great crop of guys to ensure future success.
I have seen two of these guys swim in person, and they are the real deal. More about them later in the season.
Men’s Swimming and Diving signs nine to National Letters of Intent
AUSTIN, Texas -- University of Texas head men’s swimming coach Eddie Reese and diving coach Matt Scoggin announced Tuesday that nine prep standouts have signed National Letters of Intent to join the Longhorns’ swimming and diving program in the 2008-09 academic year.
Reese announced the signings of the following swimmers: Neil Caskey (Houston, Texas/Cypress Falls HS); Jimmy Feigen (San Antonio, Texas/Churchill HS); Eric Friedland (Bethesda, Md./Walter Johnson HS); Matt Hoyland (Mendota Heights, Minn./St. Thomas Academy); Hayes Johnson (Nashville, Tenn.); Donald Sutton (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Cardinal Gibbons HS); Branden Whitehurst (Jacksonville, Fla./The Bolles School) and Jackson Wilcox (Nashville, Tenn./Ensworth HS).
Two highlighted swimmers I have personally seen swim....
Texas Men’s Swimming and Diving Signees
Neil Caskey (Houston, Texas/Cypress Falls HS)
· Member of the 2006-07 USA National Junior Team
· 2007 Texas UIL Class 5A state champion in the 200 IM (1:50.04) and the 100 butterfly (49.50)
· The nation’s fifth-ranked high school senior in the 100 butterfly (49.50)
· Holds U.S. Olympic Trials cuts in the 100-meter butterfly (55.55) and the 200-meter butterfly (2:02.58)
Jimmy Feigen (San Antonio, Texas/Churchill HS)
· Member of the 2007-08 USA Swimming National Junior Team
· 2007 Texas UIL Class 5A state champion in the 50 freestyle and runner-up in the 100 freestyle
· The nation’s second-fastest high school senior in the 50 freestyle (20.29)
· Holds U.S. Olympics Trials cut in the 100-meter freestyle (51.52)