I've seen several references here and on other sites attaching the name "Texas Swarm" to the Akina/McDuff defense. While I think we're going to have many reasons to eventually love the defense, I'm not that big a fan of the monicker. Personally, I don't know of any swarms in Texas other than mosquitos. And if we're going to have one, it had better be cooler than the "wrecking crew" or else it'll be yet another football-unrelated reason why those crazy farmers will think they're better than us.
Do we have any suggestion?
Also, I've taken the liberty of ranking some of football's all-time greatest unit nicknames:
- Purple People Eaters (Vikings D)
- Steel Curtain (Steelers D)
- The Four Horsemen (ND back field)
- Monsters of the Midway (Bears D)
- No Name Defense (Dolphins D)