I posted some rambling thoughts on the main page about scenarios that would result in Texas getting into the Top 10 in the final rankings for the 2007 season.
Texas played like a top-10 team for only the second or third time this season, was it enough to play their way into the top 10 in the final polls? Unlikely, but possible.
17. Current rank, changes to...
16. By beating #12 ASU, who have to drop below us
15. By passing #13 Illinois, who will likely lose to USC
14. By passing #10 Hawai'i, who will get demolished by Georgia
13. By passing either Tennessee or Wisconsin, who sit at #16 (AP) and #15 (Coaches) respectively - so either way we move up in one poll
12. By passing #15/16 Clemson, who could lose to Auburn
11. By passing #14 BC, who could lose to Michigan State, but probably won't
10. By passing #11/9 WVU, who could drop below us with a loss to OU (not likely) OR
10. By passing #9/12 Florida, who could lose to Michigan (not likely) OR
10. By passing #8 Kansas, who could drop below us with a loss to Va Tech (not likely) OR
10. By passing #7 Mizzou, who could lose to Arkansas (not likely)
So essentially we're just about guaranteed to finish at #13 in at least one of the polls (exactly where we finished last year btw), and would need to have 3 improbable upsets happen in the other 6 games to make it to the top 10. But given how wacky this CFB season has been, I wouldn't bet against our chances just yet. And given how we all felt after the aTm debacle, I think you'll agree that anywhere between 10 and 13 will be a fine way to finish.
Since the original post, Tennessee beat Wisconsin, Auburn beat Clemson, and Michigan upset Florida, which should get us up to #13. BC nearly lost to MSU and Mizzou demolished Arkansas, and we're still waiting on the results of the BCS Bowls, so Texas's chances of getting to #10 are slimmer now.
What do you think BON'ers? Losses by Hawai'i and Illinois should get us two more spots up the ladder. Was our Holiday Bowl win impressive enough that a defeated KU or West Virginia will slip behind Texas in the rankings? And do you agree with Mack Brown that Texas should be in the Top 5 in next year's pre-season polls?
79 votes total
All comments, FanPosts, and FanShots are the views of the reader-authors who create them.