1. The defense was impressive. Tulane shot 32%, Horns had 46 rebounds, 16 steals. Barnes called off the press about 5 minutes into the 2nd half. Horns were up at that time 63-27.
2. Damion James, Oh Jeez, Oh Man. Shooting from the hip - We're probably looking at the Big XII player of the year. 16 points (3 highlight dunks) 8 rebounds, and my favorite 3 steals.
3. Athletically, Justin Mason is on par with anyone in the country. The guy is a freak. He may not wow you on a stat sheet, but you always know when he is on the court and when he isn't. Who else can you say that about?
4. Dexter Pittman, Player of the game. 10 points, 6 rebounds in 15 minutes. He owned the paint.
5. 27 minutes of very good basketball
1. Dogus Balbay - First game, no jitters, quick footed, long arms, really good handle on the offense, defended pretty well. Criticism - 26 minutes, 2 points, 0 assist, 4 fouls. His first game is out of the way, now it's time to show us you can be something besides another guy on the floor. If you hear the way his name is pronounced, you'll understand why i think we should call him Summer's Eve.
2. AJ had a quiet 15. He made some nice shots but overall it was just ok. I personally don't think he has any business being a point guard. I think we will be ok with Mason and Balbay taking most of the minutes and AJ bringing the ball up every once in awhile. AJ's strength is is quick release. I can't think of any PGs known more for their quick release than their court vision or ball handling skills.
3. Everyone got playing time except Varez Ward, who was out with an injury.
1. The final 5 minutes of basketball was nauseating. Turnovers, poor defense, no offense. I said in the game thread, some line drills were being earned with that final 5 minutes. Absolutely brutal.
2. From an educated guess I would say attendance was 5,000. Must be some big tests tomorrow.
3. Harrison Smith and Matt Hill, That's all I'm going to say about that.