As much as a homer I am, I'm having trouble finding enough arguements to believe the 'Horns can win the Big 12. Here are the biggest concerns that I have -- taking into consideration how fundamental the concern is as well as the likelihood that it will manefest itself this year:
10. Off the field distractions. 2007 was painful, a repeat would be an abomination.
9. QB Depth. Improved o-line should mitigate this; Colt still running wild will not.
8. RB Depth. Fozzy? Hills?? McGee going down will spell doom.
7. Big game preparation. We lost 2 out of the 3 games last year due to lack of preparation. They made a big point of this vs Arizona State. Have we seen the last of these concerns? We probably won't look past the big games, but will we look past Colorado?
6. Lack of playmakers. Without big play ability we may not be able to keep up with the teams on our schedule.
5. Experience at secondary. Tech, OU, Missouri, Kansas, Okie State, & Colorado on our schedule.
4. Turnover margin. Affinity for giving them away last year, compounded with an inability to take them away consistently.
3. Inability to establish consistent running game. Need to be effective on 2nd and 3rd third with 6 yards or less to go. Need to get chunks of yardage too. Last year, we had trouble doing both at times.
2. Defensive depth. Any injury to the line, LBs, and secondary will expose a part of the team that is already thin on quality experience.
1. Inability to become an elite defense. To win the Big 12 this year this defense has to be elite or near elite. The Big 12 champ will probably have a top 25 or top 30 offense and defense.
Given how fundamental these issues are, is a Big 12 championship possible? Probably not. 10 wins will be the standard by which to measure this team.