One disappointing aspect of the 2008 season is that all of the progress and performance seems buried under a dung pile of a broken
BCS BS system. As a final dagger, the Horns are probably only team in history to drop in the polls after BCS bowl win. But the reality of 2008 is that it was a platform season that will give us a very real shot at the 09 BS MNC. The key take aways from 09 have nothing to do with polls/rankings:
1. We assembled a coaching staff that can compete on a national level. Prior to this year - Texas was not capable of a MNC without a VY like talent.
2. We have laid out a road map that gives Texas solid leadership for years to come. (I still am a little skeptical that this will happen.)
3. Colt McCoy attained a legendary status based on leadership skills, commitment, and a passion to improve. I absollutely believe he will lead us to the Championship next year. His infectious leadership style will infect the Horns beyond his senior campaign.
4. 5 Straight bowl games with just a captivating final drive for that we will take to the grave.
5. A core of leaders and special players that completely erased the stain (and then some) of the Robert Joseph led thugs. Have you ever seen such a group of players represent the university like Colt, Quan, OB, Ship, RAK, Roy? To me that is much more critical than the BS system.
So to me, was 2008 disappointiing? Absoulutely not - it was a legendary year for the ages.