When I first saw this year's Longhorn's Basketball team - it physically reminded me of last year's Memphis team. Suffocating defense featuring some big bodies. The big question was would anyone emerge as a dynamic kind of point guard - and by now we all know that the answer is a resounding no. But rather than panic - lets remember that we still have a boat load of talent and get the ship righted. Here are my suggestions:
1. Bench Connor Atchley. For an entire game. Then bring him back in spots. We will go nowhere without him stroking a few threes - so this is a salvage job not abandonment.
2. Get Mason completely off the point and pray that Balbay improves. Inconsistent PG = frustrating team. Balbay is much more consistent with the ball distribution - so we will be more consisten. If he can learn to finish off a drive we will be good. If he develops a mid jumper - back in the sweet 16.
3. Put an offensive spark on the bench. Don't start both Abrams and GJ. Give props to the senior - and GJ becomes the 6th man - all the time.
4. Go smaller and quicker more often. Don't be afraid for DJ to be your biggest player on the court. Mason, AJ, DJ, Balbay, GJ may get you going if you amp up the D.
5. Stop wasting minutes by playing worhtless players. Dex is a nice change of pace. Ward too. Chapman is not. Hill not so much.
What 1 Move Would Make the most impact on turning the Horns around?
Bench and Salvage Op with Atchley (16 votes)
Get Mason completely off point (15 votes)
GJ to sixth man only (4 votes)
Smaller quicker more often and more pressure (23 votes)
Stop wasting minutes (9 votes)
None of the above - we're phucked and NIT bound (13 votes)
80 total votes