Prestonwood vs. Nolan-2010 TAPPS Division I State Championship (via PrestonwoodAthletics)
You might recognize #72, 2013 Prestonwood Christian Academy TE/DE Christian Morgan. PCA takes on Nolan Catholic tonight in a rematch of the 2010 TAPPS State Championship. Bonus -- it's senior night. I'll be there to scout and interview Morgan.
Additionally, you might have heard that Texas plays Oklahoma State tomorrow. Some big-time recruiting visitors will be there, I have the full list.
As always, please let this post serve as an open thread for all the Friday Night Lights action. Feel free to update the thread with scores and stats from from your team's game. I'm sure GoBR will be on Johnathan Gray watch. More after the jump.
OSU Visitor List:
QB, Connor Brewer, Scottsdale, AZ Chaparral -- The ringleader should be on the 40 Acres this weekend.
OL, Camrhon Hughes, Killeen Harker Heights -- Has said in interviews that he and Duke Thomas will be at every Texas home game. About as committed as a recruit can possibly be.
OL, Curtis Riser, DeSoto
DB, Bryson Echols, DeSoto
ATH, Duke Thomas, Copperas Cove -- Hughes and Thomas anxiously await the results of their applications to the Texas Hellraisers.
DE, Torshiro Davis, Shreveport, LA Woodlawn -- Davis is visiting with his mother and coach. Texas has a long way to go on Davis, but it's a good sign that he's bringing his mother and his coach. Davis' coach is a close friend of Texas DL Coach Bo Davis. Additionally, because it's an unofficial visit, Davis can make an official visit later this fall.
ATH, Daje Johnson, Pflugerville Hendrickson -- The book is simple on Johnson. If Texas offers, he'll flip his commitment to Texas. An offer is possible this weekend. Texas sure seems to be paying Johnson a lot of attention to not offer him soon.
QB, JT Barrett, Wichita Falls Rider -- In consideration with Tyrone Swoopes for the Texas QB spot in the 2013 class. This is his first visit to Texas since the June summer camp.
RB, Dontre Wilson, DeSoto -- Likely a lock to get an offer at the First Junior Day. Wilson has expressed interest in Oregon, but it feels like this one is Texas' to lose. Dynamic back. Favorable on field comparisons to Ramonce Taylor. Could be both a utility back and receiver at Texas.
OL, Ja'Braylin Thomas, Weimar -- How interested is Texas in Thomas? The coaches seem to be recruiting Perkins, Robinson and Raulerson much harder. Thomas has a terrific frame, but he's raw.
LB, Brett Wade, Kennedale -- Had a very interesting quote about the Longhorns being a good team by the time he gets to the Texas. Possibly already planning his future? Texas should feel good about this one, Texas is in Wade's top 3- 4 teams, and Manny Diaz is recruiting him hard. True MLBs are difficult to find. Must get. This is Wade's third UT game this season.
DB, Antwuan Davis, Bastrop -- Third straight Texas home game that Davis has attended. Feels like Davis will commit on the spot when offered. Should be a Junior Day commit. Shut down corner, elite track speed, top 50 -100 national player. Will be a huge get.
ATH, Chevoski Collins, Livingston -- Was at the OU Game. Good sign that he's coming back for the OSU game. There's some noise that Collins is being recruited as a DB by Texas. I like him better on offense at this point.
ATH, Randon Knotts, Austin LBJ -- Knotts is the brother of Texas TE DJ Grant. Knotts dropped 2 rushing and 3 receiving touchdowns on Crockett last night. He's a bad man. Not sure how Knotts fits into Texas' plans, but he's a tremendous recruit. I like him at wide receiver.
DT, Christopher Robinson, Shreveport, LA Woodlawn -- Robinson is one of the top junior DTs in the state of Louisiana. LSU of course will be a factor. I personally like the in state depth at DT in 2013, but the Texas coaches are interested in Robinson.
Recruiting notes quick hitters:
* Per Inside Texas and Orangebloods, the Texas coaches have reached out the Houston Kinkaid coaching staff about 2012 QB and West Virgina commit Ford Childress. Texas also requested film on Childress. He turned some heads this summer, and is widely regarded as one of the best quarterback sleepers in the country. If Texas gets serious with Childress it will be an uphill battle. Ford is the son of TAMU legend Brad Childress. Childress is about as red ass as they come. Additionally, the Childress family is tight with WVU AD Oliver Luck. Childress and Luck were both Houston Oilers.
Childress is a favorite of mine, and I would love for Texas to seriously recruit him. I think he is very quietly the best senior quarterback in the state behind Matt Davis. Childress is a pro-style quarterback, but he moves very well and has excellent arm strength. Level of competition is a concern, but he has performed well at the few camps he's attended.
* Childress joins Tommy Armstrong, Jalen Overstreet, Del Barnes, and TJ Millweard as the quarterbacks Texas is currently evaluating for a possible second QB spot in the 2012 class. Texas is casting a wide net, and Coach Harsin is being very thorough. I expect the QB list to grow.
* Coach Wyatt remains in contact with 2012 Richardson Pearce ATH and Baylor commit Corey Coleman. Wyatt is working with Coleman to set up an official visit to Texas. Coleman would likely need to visit first before Texas extended an offer. Coleman is tight with Texas commit Cayleb Jones. I like Coleman as a cornerback, but it's unclear what position Texas likes him at. Could be a take as a true ATH.
* Jake Raulerson is having a great junior season at DE and is putting up big TFL and sack numbers. Raulerson had 4 sacks, 16 tackles and a fumble recovery in a win against rival Van Alstyne. Raulerson regularly plays over 100 plays a game on offense and defense. He plays every position on the Celina DL, and even long snaps. My gut feeling tells me that Raulerson plays defense at the next level.
* Texas appears to have made the cut of schools that will definitely receive an official visit from 2012 Tempe, AZ Corona Del Sol OT Andrus Peat. Peat recently cancelled a visit to Nebraska, but is likely to reschedule. Could be something, could be nothing.
* 2013 Rosenberg Terry WR/TE Derrick Griffin had 5 TD game against Angleton last week. I just watched the film, and I came away extremely impressed. Griffin has gone for an excellent recruit to a must get in my mind. Great blocker, tremendous height, frame and leaping ability. He's a big athlete playing football right now, but he has good football instincts and skills. I'll have more on Griffin next week. He comes from an interesting background.
* Texas remains in the hunt for 2012 Springfield, MO Hillcrest WR Dorial Green - Beckham. Texas has routinely been given a 30% chance of landing Beckham. Mizzou, OU and Texas are considered DGB's top 3, but Arkansas is really coming on. I'll have more about on DGB on Sunday or Monday.
Texas High School Football Week 6 Preview
Top Match - Ups by Area and Featured Players
# 2 (4A) Brenham @ # 24 (4A) Montgomery
Brenham gets a tough district test from a ranked foe. Texas commits Malcom Brown and Tim Cole face one of the better offenses on their schedule. Brenham's defense is only giving up 10 points a game.
Featured players: Tim Cole, Malcom Brown, and Tremund Moore (12 TDs in 6 games). 2014 Brenham OT Austin Schlottman is one to watch. Could be the best sophomore offensive lineman in the state.
Pflugerville @ Georgetown
Key 16-5A battle. Pflugerville looks to right the ship on their 2011 season.
New Braunfels @ # 5 Cibolo Steele
Steele looks to stay undefeated as they march towards defending their 2010 state championship. The Unicorns seem to always be in the mix in 25-5A, and this year is no different.
Featured players: Newly-anointed Texas target and Nebraska commit, Steele QB Tommy Armstrong. Armstrong has improved his passing by leaps and bounds this season, and Texas has taken notice.
#14 Coppell @ # 11 Soutlake Carroll
Carroll's program has rebounded well is undefeated this season. Coppell is a newcomer, but head coach Joe McBride has built an excellent program. Lots of talent in this game.
Featured players: Carroll, 2013 pro-style QB Kenny Hill. Coppell, Texas commit Nick Jordan, 2013 DE William Udeh, 2014 DE. Texas is on sophomore Thomas as hard as NCAA rules allow. Could be the best sophomore DE in the state of Texas.
Enjoy all the games this weekend, and come here to discuss.
Big recruiting weekend for Texas. A win over OSU would do a lot for this 2011 Texas team and recruiting.
As always, join me for Sundays with Bill at 5 pm for your OSU Recap.