Del Barnes Highlights (early senior) (via 247SportsStudio)
Meet 2012 Henderson QB LaBradford "Del" Barnes. More after the jump.
Why introduce the Burnt Orange Nation citizenry to another 2012 quarterback? After all Texas already has a top 100 player in Chaparrel, AZ QB Connor Brewer. Well the numbers game changed. Garrett Gilbert is likely to take a medical redshirt this season and then transfer from UT. Connor plans to enroll at Texas for the spring semester, leaving Texas with just 3 scholarship quarterbacks for 2012 season. When you play 2 quarterbacks regularly in McCoy and Ash, 3 QBs isn't much depth. Since Gilbert's injury announcement on Tuesday, Texas has begun to explore options for adding another QB to the 2012 class.
In a story first broken by Hook Em 247, Texas has requested film of Henderson's Del Barnes. Henderson is a very athletic dual threat quarterback, but looks to pass first. Barnes is listed at 6'0'' 175 pounds and ran a 4.62 at a Baylor camp. From the film, the size and speed appear legitimate. He also appears to still be growing. Barnes throws an excellent deep ball, and throws well on the run. I like his footwork, mechanics and quick release. All traits that Coach Harsin looks for in a quarterback. He has good velocity on his passes, and you don't see him strain too hard on the difficult throws. Barnes is also a leader and a winner. He led his team to a 3A Championship last year.
Barnes has drawn positive comparisons to Wisconsin QB Russell Wilson. Another lightly recruited quarterback who experienced a growth spurt.
Again at this point, all Texas has done is request film on Barnes. After Gilbert's injury, the coaches have decided to evaluate additional 2012 quarterbacks. This is a wise move in my opinion. Texas can land either Whitewright's Tyrone Swoopes or Wichita Falls Rider's J.T. Barrett in 2013. They can't land both. Barnes fits because he's a late blooming recruit without many offers. In fact, per his Rivals' page, Barnes doesn't hold any offers. It would a tough pill to swallow for a top quarterback recruit to come in with Connor Brewer and compete with sophomore David Ash. As with so many kids growing up in Texas, Barnes grew up a Texas fan. Texas can definitely get him, if they want him. Barnes' name is the first to emerge in the new 2012 QB evaluations. There will be more.
It might be wise for Texas to consider taking another quarterback in 2012 that can also play another position. The second 2012 quarterback could be buried on the depth chart once the depth improves at Texas.
Hook Em 247 spoke to Connor Brewer and he understands Texas' depth concerns at quarterback, and remains firmly committed to Texas.
* 2012 SA Sam Houston DT / DE Javonte Magee is focusing on the season. Texas is still in the mix for Magee, as is Baylor and TAMU. Magee was once considered a LSU lean, Magee is a Louisiana native, but has said recently he wants to play close to his mother. The key for Texas is to stay on Magee and get him on campus. I expect Texas to receive an official visit from Magee after Sam Houston's season. Texas is recruiting Magee as a DE.
* 2013 SA Madison DT / DE Vincent Taylor recently named a top 3, and Texas is in it with TAMU and LSU. Magee is also a Louisiana native, so LSU is a real threat here. That being said, it's good to finally have some good news about Texas and the 2013 DTs. Taylor made an unofficial visit to Texas this summer. Taylor and Elysian Fields DT Isaiah Golden appear to the top in state 2013 DTs interested in Texas at the moment. Don't sleep on Waco University's Ben Hughes, he is also interested in the Horns.
* Texas OL Coach Stacy Searels will be Tempe, AZ tomorrow to visit 2012 Corona Del Sol OT Andrus Peat. Texas is likely in Peat's top 3 along with FSU and USC. Nebraska surprisingly didn't make the cut, but Peat will visit the Huskers during Ohio State weekend. Peat has an older brother Todd at Nebraska. Coach Harsin and Coach Searels should both be in Arizona tomorrow.
* Dorial Green Beckham's final 5 was leaked to the media and Texas is in it along with Missouri, Arkansas, Alabama, and Oklahoma. There have been conflicting reports if Auburn made the cut. I'm not sure what to make of it, but you could easily switch out Alabama with Auburn. Texas expects to get an official visit from DGB. He is expected at the Missouri - OU game this weekend.
* OU and TAMU have both compiled impressive lists of expected visitors for their outstanding match ups this weekend. A loss in both or either game would be a big help to Texas recruiting. Some cancellations would also be nice.
For the record, I wanted this to be a piece on 2013 OLB targets. Unfortunately, there is very little to no film on the targets Texas might be evaluating. Possible target 2013 Harker Heights' Naashon Hughes (Camrhon Hughes younger brother) was at the Rice game and liked what he saw from Texas. Hughes plays both safety and linebacker at Harker Heights, but is already 6'4'' and 210 pounds. He could grow into a NFL sized OLB or spin down to DE. Obviously, Texas is in a good position with Hughes. I support a Hughes Brothers / Harker Heights pipeline. Be on the look out for Rockwall - Heath's Raaquan Davis and Arlington's Sammy Douglas.
I'll have a Texas High School Football Under the Lights Week 4 Preview tomorrow. I will be at the Allen - Plano game, so expect a recap on Monday. Johnathan Gray is having a tremendous night tonight against Timber Creek. I'll have something on Mr. Gray's performance tomorrow.
As always, get at me on Sundays with Bill at 5pm to talk recruiting, practice and hopefully the end of realignment.