Texas was dealt a tough loss last night, and the storyline is much of the same: great offense, suspect run defense, thrilling finish. With that said, the season certainly isn't over and there are some positive takeaways from last night. The Horns had a first and goal from the 9 with a chance to take the lead late in the fourth quarter, and if they do we're 5-0 and ranked in the Top 5.
- David Ash once again played well
- Johnathan Gray demonstrated he's already the second best running back at Texas.
- Texas scored a defensive touchdown, blocked a field goal, partially blocked a punt, sacked Geno Smith 4 times and... still lost. The reason is simple, the rush defense.
- The Manny Diaz second guessing is starting to heat up. I believe it is well deserved. The defense hasn't clicked all season.
- DKR was rocking last night. By all accounts, and my my own experience the crowd was the loudest it's been since the 2008 Missouri game. The jump around sequence was fun and raucous and made an impression with recruits.
- Recruiting Update: The WVU game was the show case recruiting weekend this season. Texas hosted 2013 Arizona CB Cole Luke on an official visit, and a number of 2013, 2014 and 2015 recruits were in attendance.
- Two of Texas' biggest OL targets made it to Austin, Andrew Billings and Caleb Benenoch were at the game.
- Surprise visitor: A'Shawn Robinson. It's always good to get a soft commit around other commits. Raulerson was most certainly in his ear.
- Texas offered Contra Costa CC OT Desmond Harrison on Friday. It's a big offer for big fella. Texas is expected to be a finalist and Harrison will make an official visit to Texas on the Banquet Weekend. Harrison has Texas ties. Texas has also expressed interest in Harrison's teammate OT Damien Parris.
- The JUCO trail is heating up, Texas is also interested in a pair of Mississippi JUCO WRs.