It's a day later than the two major polls typically come out, but with the thrilling (at least in the final several minute) Virginia Tech-Georgia Tech match up on Monday night, the first post-action Coaches' Poll and AP Poll both came out on Monday.
The skinny for the Texas Longhorns? The 37-17 victory over Wyoming on Saturday night was good enough to keep the 'Horns at no. 15 in the opinion of the coaches (ahem, whomever happens to do the rankings in the respective SID offices), while the AP voters, most of whom presumably did not watch the game, dropped Texas to no. 17.
Follow after the jump for the full rankings in both polls, as well as a couple quick thoughts about them.
The USA Today Coaches' Poll:
|Rank||Team (first-place votes)||Record||Points||Last week|
||Southern California (14)||1-0||1,398||3|
|No. 25 Auburn (0-1).|
|Others receiving votes|
|Washington 55; Brigham Young 41; Baylor 39; Tennessee 29; Utah 20; Auburn 18; Georgia Tech 16; Missouri 16; Texas A&M 13; South Florida 12; Central Florida 11; Ohio 11; Cincinnati 10; Mississippi State 10; Virginia 7; Arizona 6; Louisiana Tech 6; Nevada 5; Vanderbilt 3; Northwestern 1; Rutgers 1; Texas Tech 1.|
The AP Poll:
- Dropped from rankings: Boise State 24
- Others receiving votes: Boise State 79, Tennessee 73, BYU 63, North Carolina 48, Baylor 38, Utah 34, Washington 15, Georgia Tech 14, Ohio 10, Texas State 10, Missouri 7, Texas A&M 5, South Florida 5, UCF 4, Mississippi State 3, Auburn 3, Cincinnati 2
A few thoughts:
- Wait, so Texas got dropped in the AP Poll, even though most voters weren't able to watch it? And Oklahoma only dropped one spot after an aboslutely unconvincing win over UTEP? Perhaps they didn't consider that Oklahoma only created separation after a brain-dead fake punt attempt by Mike Price on a 4th and 7 in UTEP territory that essentially ended the game after the Sooners capitalized with a touchdown. Yes, the game was on the road for OU, while Texas got Wyoming at home, but how much of a boost did all the voters give the Miners for the terror of playing in cartel country at night? A significant amount? Given the 9:30 kick, maybe most of the writers were tucked in bed for the game and only glanced at the final score. Also, Wyoming played in a bowl last year, could win the MWC this year, and UTEP finished 5-7. Anyone want to take a guess at which team will be better this year?
- Interesting that 10 writers gave Texas State votes after a victory over Houston, but none of the coaches included them in their top 25.
- Alabama and USC jumped LSU in the Coaches' Poll. Random thought -- the extensive Saban coaching tree has to help him out in these situations.
- Polls suck.
- How did South Carolina not get dinged for nearly defecating themselves against Vanderbilt? Is there any way that quarterback Connor Shaw survives the season if he continues to take a beating like he did Thursday night?
- Why is Florida still ranked?
That's all I got. Comments? Quibbles? OU hate?