Sure there are better games on TV tonight. But Austinites should head for the Erwin Center to support the Horns. #25 Texas (3-1) takes on Nicholls State (0-5) 7 PM CST. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sport SW in Texas only.
I don't have much to report on Nicholls State except to say that they are bad. They haven't won a game this season and lost by 54 points last week at LSU.
Nicholls State went 9-18 last season and 5-11 in the Southland Conference. They are led by 6'4" junior guard Adonis Gray. Gray is averaging a team leading 19 points and six rebounds per game. Only one other player, forward Aaron Scott, is averaging in double figures at 14.6 ppg.
Nicholls State is not a big team. Only freshman center Mitch Boyce (6'10") stands over 6'6". Even with our lack of interior strength, we should not get outrebounded in this one. This game gives the young Horns a real chance to improve their half court defense and defensive rebounding.
Things to Watch:
1. Can Texas control the defensive glass?
2. Can the Horns turn solid defense into easy fast break points?
3. Can the Horns control turnovers in both the half court and in transition?
4. How much playing time will Matt Hill and Dexter Pittman receive? The continued improvement of both big men will be keys to our success in conference play and in March.
5. Can Damion James reestablish himself as a low post presense in the half court?
See you at the Drum. If you aren't able to make, post your game comments here.