Having just returned from a weekend trip that kept me from viewing the game, I can't comment much on the 'Horns 64-7 slaughteration of UTEP until I settle in to watch the tape. However, Saturday's outrageously lopsided game deserves an immediate By The Numbers post...
After the jump: both Texas vs UTEP and the 2009 season, by the numbers.
Texas vs. UTEP By The Numbers
47 -- Texas first half points, the most in a half since 2005 when VY and Friends took a 52-0 lead into the half against Kansas.
304 -- Yards rushing by Texas, 244 of which came on 27 second half caries.
335 -- Yards passing by Texas, making Saturday's game just the second in school history with 300+ yards rushing and passing (vs Houston, 1990).
639 -- Total yards by Texas, the 20th 600-yard game in school history, ranking 6th on the single-game record list.
- 10 -- Number of those 20 600-yard games in the Mack Brown-Greg Davis era.
- 53 -- Total yards by UTEP.
- 9 -- Yards rushing by UTEP.
- 3 -- Total yards rushing allowed by Texas over the past two games (Tech, UTEP).
- 7.7 -- Average yards gained per play by Texas.
- 1.0 -- Average yards gained per play by UTEP.
32 -- Texas first downs (16 rushing, 14 passing, 2 penalty).
7 -- UTEP first downs (4 rushing, 1 passing, 2 penalty).
1 -- Third downs out of 12 converted successfully by the Miners.
4 -- Interceptions of UTEP quarterback Trevor Vittatoe.
6 -- Interceptions on the season by Texas, matching the team's 2008 season total.
- 3 -- Fumbles forced by Texas against UTEP, raising to 11 the team's season total (18 forced fumbles in all of 2008).
1 -- Number of players in Texas history who have returned two kickoffs for a touchdown during
one seasontheir career (D.J. Monroe, who returned one for a 91-yard touchdown on Saturday three weeks after his 90-yarder against ULM).
- 6 -- Receptions by flex-TE Dan Buckner, his third consecutive game with 6 catches.
- 4 -- Receiving touchdowns by Buckner on the season after hauling in 2 on Saturday vs UTEP.
- 3 -- Receiving touchdowns by Texas tight ends in 2008 (2 by Irby, 1 by Smith).
- 108 -- Yards rushing by Vondrell McGee against UTEP, his first career 100-yard game.
- 6.4 -- Yards per rush by McGee on the season, tops among Texas rushers with 10 + carries (Newton 5.0 ypa, Monroe 5.3 ypa, McCoy 3.2 ypa).
- 4 -- Carries by the Mythical Fozzy Creature on Saturday, his first game of the season. The redshirt sophomore picked up 38 yards (9.5 per attempt), including a 13-yard rushing touchdown, the first of his career.
- 4.9 -- Yards per rush by the Horns through 4 games this season, up from 4.3 a year ago.
4 -- Rushing touchdowns scored against UTEP, by 4 different players (McGee, Newton, Whittaker, Johnson).
- 13 -- Rushing touchdowns scored by Texas on the season, second-most in the country (Cal, 15). Were Texas to maintain the current pace, they would score 42 rushing TDs on the season (33 in 2008).
- 3 -- Colt McCoy touchdown passes against UTEP, extending his school-record streak to 21 consecutive games with a TD pass.
- 5 -- Interceptions thrown by McCoy this season (1 Saturday vs UTEP), after throwing just 8 all of last year.
- 10 -- Number of quarterback hurries created by UT's opponents through four games this year.
- 12 -- Number of quarterback hurries created by UT's opponents in all of 2008.
- 12 -- Number of players in NCAA history to have amassed more career total offense than Colt McCoy. His 301 yards of total offense against UTEP raised his career total to 12,161, elevating McCoy above Brady Quinn, Byron Leftwich, and Chris Redman to 13th place in the NCAA record book.
- 71.0 -- Completion percentage by McCoy in 2009, not much below his NCAA-record 76.7 completion percentage in 2008.
78.6 -- Completion percentage by Garrett Gilbert in 2009 (11 completions in 14 attempts).
10 -- Receptions by Jordan Shipley on Saturday (122 yards, 1 TD), on the heels of an 11-catch effort versus Texas Tech last week (73 yards, 0 TD).
- 12 -- Tackles for loss by Texas against the Miners, raising the UT defense's season total to 38 (100 TFLs in 2008).
- 3 -- Tackles for loss by Emmanuel Acho against UTEP, bringing his season total to 5, tied with Lamarr Houston for most on the team.
- 2 -- Interceptions by Earl Thomas on Saturday, raising his season total to 3, one more than in all of '08.
- 1.7 -- Yards allowed per rush attempt by Texas in 2009 (3.1 last year).
- 5.1 -- Yards allowed per pass attempt by Texas in 2009 (6.9 last year).
- 9.2 -- Yards allowed per completed pass by Texas in 2009 (12.2 last year).
- 0 -- Sacks by the Texas defense in the season-opening wins of both 2008 (FAU) and 2009 (ULM).
- 16, 12 -- Sacks by the Texas defense in the next three games of each season (16 last year, 12 this year).
- 12, 16 -- Number of turnovers created by the Texas defense after four games this season (12) and the entire 2008 season (16).
- 10 -- Number of Texas defenders who have recorded a sack this season.
- 20 -- Tackles recorded by Curtis Brown on the season (27 in 2008).
- 9 -- Passes broken up by Brown on the season (9 last year).