The new depth chart for this weekend's game is up at MB-TF.
|Flanker (Z)||11||James Kirkendoll|||||1||Mike Davis|
|Sub B||84||Marquise Goodwin|||||5||John Chiles|
|Tight End (Y)||83||Greg Smith|||||89||Barrett Matthews|
|Right Tackle||72||Britt Mitchell|||||70||Paden Kelley|
|Right Guard||67||Mason Walters|||||76||Trey Hopkins|
|Center||78||David Snow|||||73||Garrett Porter|
|Left Guard||63||Michael Huey|||||79||Thomas Ashcraft|
|Left Tackle||64||Kyle Hix|||||54||Mark Buchanan|
|Split End (X)||9||Malcolm Williams|||||4||Darius White|
|Quarterback||7||Garrett Gilbert|||||6||Case McCoy|||||18||Connor Wood|
|Fullback||30||Ryan Roberson|||||41||Jamison Berryhill|
|Place-Kicker||19||Justin Tucker|||||14||William Russ|
Defense and special teams after the jump...
|Buck||32||Eddie Jones|||||44||Jackson Jeffcoat|
|Tackle (Nose)||91||Kheeston Randall|||||96||Calvin Howell|||||85||Ashton Dorsey|
|Tackle||80||Alex Okafor|||||93||Tyrell Higgins|
|End||81||Sam Acho|||||92||Reggie Wilson|
|Strongside LB||18||Emmanuel Acho|||||9||Dravannti Johnson|
|Middle LB||42||Dustin Earnest||OR||11||Jared Norton|||||18||Emmanuel Acho|
|Weakside LB||1||Keenan Robinson|||||18||Emmanuel Acho|
|Right CB||4||Aaron Williams||OR||8||Chykie Brown|||||23||Carrington Byndom|
|Right Safety||21||Blake Gideon|||
|Left Safety||6||Christian Scott||OR||16||Kenny Vaccaro|
|Left CB||3||Curtis Brown|||||7||A.J. White|
|Nickel||4||Aaron Williams|||||16||Kenny Vaccaro|
|Punter||47||John Gold|||||19||Justin Tucker|
|Punt Returns||3||Curtis Brown||OR||4||Aaron Williams|
|Kickoffs||19||Justin Tucker|||||14||William Russ|
|Holder||86||Cade McCrary|||||47||John Gold|
|Deep Snapper (PAT/FG)||83||Greg Smith|||||72||Britt Mitchell|
|Deep Snapper (Punts)||48||Alex Zumberge|||||49||Trey Wier|
A few thoughts:
- James Kirkendoll and Marquise Goodwin taking over the starting jobs at flanker and Sub B, respectively, is probably more about the injuries to Mike Davis and John Chiles than about exceptionally strong play from either of the current starters. Expect Davis at least to earn some significant reps against Iowa State if he's fully healthy.
- Greg Smith appears to have taken over the tight end role that was used less against Nebraska than in previous games. The appearance of the unused H-back position on the depth chart is almost a joke.
- Fozzy Whittaker remains the starter and DJ Monroe falls to fourth on the depth chart behind Tre' Newton and Cody Johnson, who both appeared fully healthy against Nebraska following the bye week. It's perhaps questionable whether Monroe even got many reps during the week off to catch up on the playbook and the health of the other backs is probably the latest excuse from the coaching staff for Monroe not getting carries.
- Alex Okafor has taken over the second defensive tackle position next to Kheeston Randall, which is disappointing in regards to the play of Tyrell Higgins and Calvin Howell, but is welcome because the Longhorns had to have someone step into the void left by the departure of Lamarr Houston to the NFL.
- No real changes on defense or special teams and besides some shuffling of the running backs and the almost meaningless listings of the receivers, there probably won't be many changes for the rest of the season barring injuries. It is worth noting that Jordan Hicks is not on the depth chart despite coming in to back up Keenan Robinson when he left with his injury, even though Emmanuel Acho stayed on the strongside and Dravannti Johnson remained on the bench.
- Mack Brown did note during his press conferences that none of the injuries sustained during the Nebraska game (Keenan Robinson and Kenny Vaccaro both had to leave, for instance) should keep any players out for the game against Iowa State.