Mack Brown released the depth chart for the Wyoming game on Monday afternoon. The Rice depth chart is here.
|Flanker (Z)||5||John Chiles||OR||1||Mike Davis|
|Sub B||11||James Kirkendoll||OR||84||Marquise Goodwin|
|Tight End (Y)||89||Barrett Matthews|||||85||
|Right Tackle||72||Britt Mitchell|||||70||Paden Kelley||OR||54||Mark Buchanan|
|Right Guard||67||Mason Walters|||||76||Trey Hopkins|
|Center||78||David Snow|||||73||Garrett Porter|
|Left Guard||63||Michael Huey|||||79||Thomas Ashcraft||
|Left Tackle||64||Kyle Hix|||||77||Luke Poehlmann|
|Split End (X)||9||Malcolm Williams|||||11||James Kirkendoll|
|Quarterback||7||Garrett Gilbert|||||6||Case McCoy|||||18||Connor Wood|
|Fullback||41||Jamison Berryhill||OR||30||Ryan Roberson|
|Place-Kicker||19||Justin Tucker|||||14||William Russ|
|Buck||32||Eddie Jones|||||44||Jackson Jeffcoat|
|Tackle (Nose)||91||Kheeston Randall|||||85||Ashton Dorsey|
|Tackle||93||Tyrell Higgins|||||80||Alex Okafor|||||96||Calvin Howell|
|End||81||Sam Acho|||||92||Reggie Wilson|
|Strongside LB||9||Dravannti Johnson|||||18||Emmanuel Acho|
|Middle LB||18||Emmanuel Acho|||||42||Dustin Earnest||OR||11||Jared Norton|
|Weakside LB||1||Keenan Robinson|||||33||Jordan Hicks|
|Right CB||8||Chykie Brown|||||23||Carrington Byndom||OR||7||A.J. White|
|Right Safety||21||Blake Gideon|||
|Left Safety||6||Christian Scott||OR||16||Kenny Vaccaro|
|Left CB||3||Curtis Brown||OR||4||Aaron Williams|
|Nickel||4||Aaron Williams||OR||16||Kenny Vaccaro|
|Punter||47||John Gold|||||19||Justin Tucker|
|Punt Returns||3||Curtis Brown|||||4||Aaron Williams|
|Kickoffs||19||Justin Tucker|||||14||William Russ|
|Holder||86||Cade McCrary|||||47||John Gold|
|Deep Snapper (PAT/FG)||83||Greg Smith|||||77||Luke Poehlmann|
|Deep Snapper (Punts)||48||Alex Zumberge|||||49||Trey Wier|
Analysis after the jump...
- The major change is obviously at running back, where Tre' Newton is the starter after having the best week of the backs -- hitting holes with decisiveness and blocking well in pass protection, as always. The demotion of Cody Johnson to second string is probably more about the sprained ankle he suffered early in the game that limited his speed and mobility.
- Malcolm Williams is now the starter at split end after having arguably the best game of all the receivers -- accounting for the most receiving yards, at least -- but it's strange that James Kirkendoll, who was basically non-existent for the game, is listed first as a co-starter at Sub B with Marquise Goodwin, who was nearly as good as Williams and clearly better than the maddeningly inconsistent Kirkendoll. What did Kirkendoll do to move in front of Goodwin? Mike Davis didn't get many snaps against Rice, but is listed as a co-starter with John Chiles, perhaps a sign that the true freshman will see more playing time against Wyoming.
- As expected, Paden Kelley is back on the depth chart, but as the co-back-up at right tackle instead of left tackle, where Mullet Man is the replacement for Kyle Hix.
- On defense, the big change is that Kenny Vaccaro is now the co-starter at both left safety, with Christian Scott, and the nickel, with Aaron Williams. No apparent consequences for Chykie Brown's poor day, as he remains the starter at right corner. And it looks like there isn't any chance at the moment for Vaccaro to replace Gideon, who remains the starter at right safety.
- The fumbled punt against Rice will keep Aaron Williams as the back-up punt returner, with Curtis Brown as the starter.