Thanks to a most helpful (unsolicited) email from the Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau, I'm happy to provide some useful information about downtown Omaha for those lucky enough to be attending the 2011 College World Series.
I should note that I stayed in Omaha this past October when I went to the Texas-Nebraska game and couldn't have had a better time. There's not a whole lot in that state, but it's all packed into one place -- Omaha, making it a much bigger and more cosmopolitan city than you would imagine. I look forward to my next trip back, that's for certain.
After the jump, information and links from the Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau.
New Downtown Omaha Information:
- The new TD Ameritrade Ballpark replaces Rosenblatt Stadium, which was home to the College World Series from 1950-2010. The ballpark is located in downtown Omaha, on 1200 Mike Fahey Street.
- The new downtown ballpark has many hotels within walking distance. Fans will be able to walk to the ballpark and back to their hotels without working up much of a sweat. These include:
Holiday Inn downtown
Courtyard by Marriot
Hilton Garden Inn and Suites
Doubletree Suites by Hilton downtown
- There are also many attractions, shopping, food and bars with live music within walking distance of the ballpark. This is an entirely new area for Omaha – the majority of these stores and restaurants have opened up within the past year. I’ve included links to some of the businesses in the area:
Attractions: Hot Shops Art Center, Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, Filmstreams
Shopping: Urban Outfitters, American Apparel
Food: Goodnights Pizza, Capitol Lounge & Supper Club
Bars/Live Music: Slowdown, DJ’s Dugout & Blazing Pianos, Nosh Wine Lounge
- The ballpark is about a ten minute walk from Omaha’s Old Market. If you haven’t had a chance to explore the Old Market, it is an excellent arts and entertainment district with fabulous dining, shopping and nightlife, including
Food: La Buvette, Vivace, M’s Pub, Blue Sushi and the Upstream Brewing Company
Shopping: Flying Worm Vintage, Nebraska Clothing Company, Trocadero and Drastic Plastic Bars/Live Music: Nomad Lounge, Urban Wine, Mr. Toads, O’Connor’s Irish Pub
- The Omaha Visitors Center is also close to the TD Ameritrade Ballpark at 1001 Farnam Street. It has a coffee/snack bar, an Omaha store and bike rentals.