Power, Passion & Glory (via fishing464)
I thought Celina needed more attention. The Boys of Fall documentary, song, t-shirt, and collectible coffee mug just didn't do the Bobcats justice. Let this preview serve as the Friday and Saturday Nights Lights open thread. Connor Brewer is playing tonight on ESPN2 at 7:00 pm. I'll be here to discuss the game. BONUS: Recruiting quick hitters. More after the jump.
I'm staying in tonight to watch 2012 Texas commit Connor Brewer on the Worldwide Leader. Chaparral plays at Notre Dame Prep in Scottsdale cross - town battle. Apparently, Scottsdale isn't just a place to exile your old, crazy aunt. They actually play a little bit of football up there.
The NCAA could keep Texas recruits' games off of the LHN, but they couldn't keep their games off the ESPN platform. If you have cable and live in the United States, you can watch Connor Brewer live tonight. It helps to have friends in high places.
Brewer will be looking for redemption after a so - so showing on national television against Bishop Gorman in the season opener. Connor on the season is 74/119 for 1,129 yards, and15 touchdowns.
Again the game is at 7pm on ESPN2. I'll be here to discuss it and break down Brewer's performance.
No Texas High School Football of note are being televised this weekend.
Top Match - Ups per Area and Featured Players
Friendswood @ # 7 (4A) Pearland Dawson
Undefeated Dawson attempts to keep it rolling against a district rival.
Featured players: 2012 Texas commit Dawson OT Kennedy Estelle, 2013 Texas target Dawson RB James White.
Cedar Park Vista Ridge @ # 8 (4A) Cedar Park
Cedar Park attempts to bounce back from a top loss to Round Rock Westwood.
#21 San Antonio Warren @ San Antonio Stevens (Saturday)
A good 'ole San Antonio shoot out.
Wylie East @ # 6 (4A) Highland Park
One of the most historic programs in Texas takes on the upstart Wylie East. Both teams are undefeated and looking for respect in District 10 - 4A.
Featured players: 2013 Texas targets Wylie East WR Marcell Ateman and Wylie East WR Quan Jones. Ateman and Jones are lethal combination. Both are about 6'4'' and quick twitch athletes. Both hold offers from Tennessee and Arizona. Ateman is very high on Texas. I think Texas is more interested in Jake Oliver at the moment, but Ateman is one hell of an option to have.
Recruiting Quick Hitters:
* Answered prayer. Texas has sent correspondence to 2012 Pflugerville Hendrickson ATH Daje Johnson. Johnson is absolutely tearing it up during his senior season. Wescott will be at this game. Expect an evaluation to follow. I think Johnson projects better as a DB (his father was a NFL cornerback), but he could be an excellent utility back at Texas. With Daniel Brooks looking less and less likely to flip to Texas, the coaches would be wise to evaluate Johnson's offensive skills.
* 2013 Arlington Heights OT / DT A'Shawn Robinson will be at the Texas - OU game as a guest of the Horns. He was also at the BYU game. Robinson hasn't visited any other schools this Fall. I believe Robinson can be gotten early by Texas. The Longhorns are likely recruiting Robinson as an OT.
* 2013 Celina OT / DE Jake Raulerson is a maybe for the Texas - OU game. He might attend the Florida - LSU game in Baton Rouge instead.
* Bo Davis is staying in contact with 2012 Round Rock DT Glen Antoine. Antoine is having a tremendous senior season. I think Texas is expecting attrition after the season, and Antoine could be offered late in the recruiting process.
* 2012 Tampa Berkeley Prep ATH Nelson Agholor will make an unofficial visit to Florida for the Alabama game this weekend. Agholor is also planning on making an official visit to Notre Dame. No word yet on when he might make an official visit to Texas.
* 2013 Dallas Jesuit J.J. Gustafson has named a top 4 and Texas is in it. Gustafson had an excellent performance during a Texas summer camp in June.
That's all for this weekend. Enjoy all the high school football action tonight, and come here to talk about it.
As always, join me at 5 pm for Sundays with Bill. We'll talk ISU game, recruiting and Big 12 expansion.