clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Texas OT Desmond Harrison "not in the plans" for 2015

New, 124 comments

The junior college transfer never lived up to the massive expectations that accompanied him to campus.

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

With several more players expected to depart from the Texas Longhorns program in the coming days, it was no surprise to see senior offensive tackle Desmond Harrison's name emerge on Friday as a player who is "not in the plans" for 2015, a source told Orangebloods.

Another source close to the situation told Burnt Orange Nation the same thing coming out of Thursday's team meeting.

Harrison missed the entire 2014 season after he was suspended twice. After he was reinstated following the opener against North Texas, he was suspended mere hours later and sat out the rest of the season.

But since he had a redshirt season available to him, there was some thought that he might return in 2015, including a report from Horns Digest that called the 6'8, 310-pounder "excited about next season."

Though that may have been the case, it's highly possible that the coaching staff didn't feel the same way about the massively talented junior college prospect who was ranked as the No. 5 player from those ranks and the top junior college offensive tackle in the 2014 class by 247Sports.

Accompanied by big expectations to campus, including some thought that he could start at left tackle immediately, things went wrong virtually immediately, as he was held out of practice because there were issues with online courses he had taken at BYU.

When the season did start, he played in seven games as a reserve, but was slowed by an ankle injury suffered against Oklahoma and then played poorly in the 2014 Orange-White game.

So it appears that Harrison will leave the program without ever having started a game, leaving Texas with three of the five heralded members of the 2013 offensive line class after the transfer of Rami Hammad prior to the 2014 season.

Tight end MJ McFarland and offensive guard Curtis Riser both left the Longhorns program earlier in the week as part of a reported exodus that could eventually include as many as a half-dozen players.