Aside from Texas Longhorns starting quarterback Shane Buechele, it was another relatively quiet day for the group of true freshman, with emerging wide receiver Devin Duvernay failing to record a long touchdown catch in a fourth straight game.
Freshmen who played against Baylor (10)
- QB Shane Buechele — 12/21 (57.14%), 291 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT, 1 punt, 36 yds
- RB Kyle Porter — 4 car, 19 yds, 4.8 YPC
- WR Collin Johnson — 1 rec, 40 yds
- WR Devin Duvernay — 1 rec, 2 yds
- RB/WR Lil’Jordan Humphrey — likely special teams contributor
- C Zach Shackelford - starting center
- Fox Malcolm Roach — 1 tackle
- LB Jeffrey McCulloch — no stats
- LB Erick Fowler — no stats
- S Brandon Jones — 1 kick return, 23 yds
Freshmen who’ve played through seven games (16)
(If they have recorded stats, I’ve listed those next to their names as well)
- QB Shane Buechele — 152 of 238 (63.87%, -.93% decrease since the previous game), 2013 yards, 17 TD’s, 6 INT (plus 1 rushing TD), 153.45 RTG — 16th nationally (+13 spots from previous week), 4th in B12 (+2)
- RB Kyle Porter — 33 car, 135 yds, 4.09 YPC, 2 TD
- WR Devin Duvernay — 11 rec, 275 yds, 3 TD
- WR Collin Johnson — 14 rec, 149 yds
- WR Lil’Jordan Humphrey — 2 rec, 15 yds
- C Zach Shackelford — starting center
- OL Jean Delance — reserve offensive lineman
- OL Denzel Okafor — reserve offensive lineman
- DE Malcolm Roach — 20 TT, 3 TFL, 2 sacks
- DT D’Andre Christmas — 2 TT, 1 fumble rec
- DT Gerald Wilbon — 1 TT
- DL Jordan Elliott — 6 TT, 1.5 TFL, 1 sack (currently injured)
- LB Jeffery McCulloch — 13 TT, 2 TFL, 1 sack
- S Brandon Jones — 10 TT, 2 blocked punts (got a piece of another), 1 safety, 2 PR for 33 yards, 2 KR for 44 total yards
- DB Donovan Duvernay — no stats recorded
- DE/OLB Erick Fowler — 1 TT, 1 TFL
— It was another solid performance in a season full of solid performances for true freshman quarterback Shane Buechele. With a passer rating of 153.45, Buechele currently ranks 16th in the nation and 4th in the Big 12 among quarterbacks.
Of the eight freshmen (including six redshirts) ranked in the top-100 for their passer ratings, Buechele ranks second among all of them, with USC’s redshirt freshman Sam Darnold (173.06) as the only freshman who currently has a higher passer rating than Buechele.
— Devin Duvernay’s hot streak of deep bomb’s from Buechele ended as he had just one reception for two yards on the day.
— Fellow freshman wide receiver Collin Johnson used his size and athleticism to make an acrobatic catch and run on the sideline that went for 40 yards. It was his only reception of the day.
— With back-up running back Chris Warren out, freshman Kyle Porter has seen very limited action. Unfortunately, Porter continues to struggle to find consistent success running the ball. He looks like a running back who needs another offseason to adjust to football at this level.
Though he’s still a better option than lining up Swoopes at running back.
— Speaking of Swoopes at running back, it looks like Lil’Jordan Humphrey’s move from receiver to running back after Warren’s injury was solely an emergency move. He has yet to take a snap at running back, and has really only seen the field as a special teams contributor.
— Zach Shackelford returned to his starting center role, while reserve lineman Jake McMillon was pushed over to left guard to replace an up-and-down Patrick Vahe.
Though McMillon has recently graded out higher than Shackelford at center, it looks like the staff is willing to stomach some of Shackelford’s freshman struggles at center.
And with how well McMillon performed at left guard against Baylor, it’s possible he sticks as the starter there until further notice. Maybe Vahe moves over to right guard for the struggling Kent Perkins.
— None of the freshmen on defense did much, and Malcolm Roach’s “sack-less” streak now sits at five games.
— Going over the freshmen’s production at the end of the year will likely raise more than a few “why” questions regarding the burning of some redshirts.
Freshmen still on track to redshirt (12)
- WR Davion Curtis
- WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps
- TE Peyton Aucoin
- OL Tope Imade
- OL J.P. Uriquidez
- OL Patrick Hudson
- DL Marcel Southall
- DL Chris Daniels
- DE Andrew Fitzgerald
- LB Demarco Boyd
- DB Chris Brown
- DB Eric Cuffee
Thanks again for stopping by, and we’ll check back in after Texas travels to Lubbock to get some free tortillas.