In the Internet era of recruiting, the Texas Longhorns landed only one prospect on National Signing Day while Mack Brown was the head coach, but have picked up five recruits on the big day during the last two seasons combined -- three in 2014, both defensive tackles, and three last year, including flips from Ryan Newsome and PJ Locke.
This year, though? The 2016 cycle will produce fireworks unlike anything Texas fans have ever seen before, as 14 Longhorns targets will make their respective destinations known after Strong and his staff picked up four pledges in six days heading into recruitnik Christmas.
Even relatively conservative estimations have Texas picking up five or six more pledges Wednesday, a haul that would rank as historic by a large margin and likely vault the Longhorns to a near top-15 ranking nationally. If even more prospects fall into place? There's certainly a shot at cracking the top 10, though a finish between 10 and 15 is probably most likely. Remaining in the mid-20s seems highly unlikely.
If Strong can close with this group by pulling off another miraculous finish, he'll have the class he's been adamant for months that he needed to help put Texas over the top. The installation of the new offense and ability to find a quarterback will determine the team's destiny in 2016 to a large extent, but there's no substitute for adding the depth to deal with injuries and fill in a few gaps in talent.
Decision timeline (all times CT)
Please note that these times by vary, especially the ESPNU announcements listed on the hour.
- Duncanville defensive tackle Marcel Southall | 3 stars | Texas signee
- Euless Trinity defensive tackle Chris Daniels | 4 stars | Texas signee
- Fort Worth All Saints defensive tackle Mike Williams | 4 stars | Stanford signee
- Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones | 4 stars | Texas signee
- Manor defensive end Erick Fowler (LSU commit) | 4 stars | Texas signee
- Manvel safety Deontay Anderson | 4 stars | Ole Miss signee
- Alief Elsik safety Chris Brown | 3 stars | Texas signee
- Alief Elsik linebacker Dontavious Jackson | 4 stars | Florida State signee
- Aldine Davis linebacker Jeffrey McCulloch | 4 stars | Texas signee
- Silsbee offensive tackle Patrick Hudson (Baylor commit) | 4 stars| Baylor signee
- New Orleans (La.) McDonogh 35 defensive tackle Stephon Taylor | 4 stars | South Carolina signee
- Houston Westside defensive tackle Jordan Elliott | 4 stars | Texas signee
- New Orleans (La.) Brother Martin tight end Irvin Smith | 3 stars | 3:15 p.m.
- Arlington Lamar quarterback Shane Buechele | 4 stars | early enrollee | 6'1, 185
- Katy running back Kyle Porter | 4 stars | 5'11, 208 | 8:33 a.m. CT
- San Jose Valley Christian wide receiver Collin Johnson | 4 stars | early enrollee | 6'6, 200
- Temple wide receiver Davion Curtis | 3 stars | 5'11, 180 | 8:00 a.m. CT
- Manvel wide receiver Reggie Hemphill-Mapps | 3 stars | 6'1, 172 | 7:38 a.m. CT
- New Orleans (La.) Brother Martin tight end Peyton Aucoin | 3 stars | 6'4, 255 | 7:27 a.m. CT
- North Mesquite offensive tackle Jean Delance | 4 stars | 6'5, 291| 9:31 a.m. CT
- Lewisville offensive guard Denzel Okafor | 4 stars | 6'4, 295 | 7:31 a.m. CT
- Arlington Bowie offensive guard Tope Imade | 3 stars | early enrollee | 6'5, 327 | 8:01 a.m. CT
- Belton offensive center Zach Shackelford | 3 stars | early enrollee | 6'3, 290
- Destrehan (La.) defensive tackle Gerald Wilbon | 3 stars | 6'3, 311 | 8:59 a.m. CT
- New Orleans (La.) St. Augustin defensive tackle D'Andre Christmas-Giles | 4 stars | 6'3, 290 | 8:18 a.m. CT
- Flower Mound Marcus defensive end Andrew Fitzgerald | 4 stars | 6'5, 250 | 9:23 a.m. CT
- Baton Rouge (La.) Madison Prep defensive end Malcolm Roach | 3 stars | 6'3, 255 | 9:03 a.m. CT
- Waco cornerback Eric Cuffee | 4 stars | 6'0, 188 | 8:08 a.m. CT
- Southlake Carroll athlete Lil'Jordan Humphrey | 3 stars | 6'5, 199 | 9:15 a.m. CT
- Gilmer athlete Demarco Boyd | 3 stars | early enrollee | 5'11, 228
Note -- The early enrollees have already signed their financial aid agreements and will not be holding signing ceremonies, as they have already been taking classes in Austin.
The full storystream of the already committed signees is here.
As always, BON will provide comprehension coverage of all the signings, commitments, and misses. Since this is your headquarters, it's the repository for the high-level overview of the day and will receive updates as news develops.
While all that happens, the Longhorn Network will also have live, all-day National Signing Day content to augment all the announcements happening on ESPNU.
The scoop there:
National Signing Day arrives on Wednesday, Feb. 3, and Longhorn Network has expanded its coverage to provide comprehensive programming throughout the day. LHN will be live for five hours from the home of Texas Football starting at 7 a.m. CT, as the first faxes of the day begin to arrive.
Host Lowell Galindo will be joined by analysts Ahmad Brooks and David Thomas on a set at the Moncrief-Neuhaus Athletics Center. Reporter Jane Slater will report from the football offices, and will be the first to let you know as prospects officially become Longhorns.
Alex Loeb, analyst Emmanuel Acho and Texas recruiting expert Max Olson will offer additional insights from the LHN studio, and former Texas volleyball national champion Bailey Webster will monitor social media throughout the day to provide nationwide reactions.
Additionally, LHN will televise Head Coach Charlie Strong's Signing Day Press Conference live in the afternoon. At 6 p.m. CT, LHN will air a one-hour Signing Day Special that recaps all the events of the day.
And the schedule:
|Wed., Feb. 3||7 a.m.||Texas Football Signing Day|
|TBD||Texas Football Signing Day Press Conference|
|6 p.m.||Longhorn Extra Signing Day Special|
Alright. Let's do this, y'all.