clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

4-star PG Matt Coleman includes Texas in top 5 after setting official visit

New, 2 comments

The Oak Hill guard is a likely Longhorns lean, but Texas will have to hold off top schools to attain his services.

Photo: USA Basketball

Four-star point guard Matt Coleman, the nation’s No. 9 prospect at his position in the Composite rankings, has trimmed his list to five teams just after setting an official visit to Austin, and Texas Longhorns made the cut.

The final five should be no surprise to those keeping up with Coleman’s recruitment, as the Oak Hill guard chose the same five schools for his official visits which he announced yesterday. Texas will be the final trip Coleman takes, hosting him on October 29th.

A sign, perhaps?

Ranked as the 27th-overall prospect and the 4th-best point guard in the 2017 class by ESPN, Coleman has long been considered a Longhorn lean. On Crystal Ball, 76 percent of experts currently predict Coleman to join head coach Shaka Smart’s squad, while the remaining 24 percent have picked Duke.

The Longhorns currently hold a pair of commitments from two 6’8, ESPN top-100 recruits — Royce Hamm and Jericho Sims. However, Texas has yet to reel in a guard for the class.

Expect Shaka Smart to add two, if not three guards for next season, with Coleman being one of his biggest priorities after coaching him in person in Chile this summer with the US U-18 national team.