There will be hats. There may be props. Pens will meet paper, faxes will whirr, and the Texas Longhorns coaching staff will celebrate the first signing class for the group in Austin.
Compared to the fireworks of the 2016 cycle, when seven recruits chose the Longhorns among 14 prospects announcing their respective decisions, Wednesday will be a relatively calm day, with five targets committing and three likely to end up at Texas.
Landing those three prospects would exceed the two pledges on National Signing Day in 2014 for former head coach Charlie Strong and match the three Wednesday commitments in 2015. All of those additions were historic compared to the consistent calm under Mack Brown, who preferred not to recruit players until the final day.
Most of all, it feels like there hasn’t been as much buzz around this class this year, in part because many of the top prospects have gone elsewhere and because there hasn’t been as much drama.
There hasn’t been a story like Kyler Murray and DaMarkus Lodge showing up on campus unexpectedly or the incredible anticipation built up by important pledges in the weeks leading up to National Signing Day with more than a dozen recruits set to decide that Wednesday.
Texas certainly did not get errbody in this cycle.
But even without the recent level of excitement, this is still an important day that will have a significant impact on the future of Longhorns football.
Stay tuned for further thoughts on the class, including a look at the risks of transition classes, the class overview, and thoughts on why so many top prospects left the state this year.
Decision timeline (all times CT)
Please note that these times may vary, especially the ESPNU announcements listed on the hour.
- Westlake offensive tackle Stephan Zabie (Texas, Ole Miss, UCLA) — 7 a.m. on ESPNU. Zabie committed to UCLA.
- Louisburg College defensive tackle Larrell Murchison (Texas, Georgia, Ole Miss) — Murchison delayed his decision and may take his recruitment past National Signing Day. Texas is probably no longer in the mix after taking Jamari Chisholm and may not have been part of Murchison’s decision-making process even before that.
- Dallas Bishop Dunne cornerback Chevin Calloway (Texas, Arkansas, Ole Miss) — 10 a.m on ESPNU. Calloway chose Arkansas.
- Galena Park North Shore defensive end K’Lavon Chaisson (Texas, LSU, Florida) — 11 a.m. — Things are not trending in the right direction (live stream). Chaisson committed to LSU with a Texas shirt on the table instead of a hat.
- Winter Park (Fla.) wide receiver Jordan Pouncey (Texas, Miami, Notre Dame, Tennessee) — 12:15 p.m.
All signing times are approximate. When prospects sign, we will bold their name and link to their signing story.
- Austin Westlake quarterback Sam Ehlinger | early enrollee | **** | 6’1.5, 215 pounds | 8:41 a.m
- Houston Langham Creek running back Toneil Carter | early enrollee | **** | 5’10.5, 197 pounds | 8:36 a.m.
- Mississippi Gulf Coast CC kicker Josh Rowland | early enrollee | *** | 5’10, 185 pounds | 8:43 a.m.
- Tyler John Tyler wide receiver Damion Miller | **** | 6’1, 193 pounds | 8:11 a.m.
- Dodge City CC linebacker Gary Johnson | **** | 6’1, 225 pounds 8:19 a.m.
- Temple defensive end Taquon Graham | **** | 6’3, 255 pounds | 8:07 a.m.
- Hooks safety Montrell Estell | **** | 6’2, 180 pounds | 8:21 a.m.
- Nacogdoches cornerback Josh Thompson | **** | 6’0, 182 pounds | 7:52 a.m.
- Jenks (Okla.) tight end Reese Leitao | *** | 6’4, 234 pounds | 7:25 a.m.
- Brenham linebacker Marqez Bimage | *** | 6’3, 233 pounds | 7:42 a.m.
- Lake Dallas cornerback Kobe Boyce | *** | 6’0, 163 pounds | 7:35 a.m.
- San Antonio Reagan offensive lineman Derek Kerstetter | *** | 6’4.5, 299 pounds 7:54 a.m.
- Houston Westfield running back Daniel Young | *** | 6’0, 210 pounds 8:01 a.m.
- Lake Travis tight end Cade Brewer | *** | 6’3, 223 pounds | 7:13 a.m.
- Humble Atascocita offensive tackle Samuel Cosmi | *** | 6’5, 260 pounds | 7:49 a.m.
- Fort Worth All Saints defensive end Max Cummins | *** | 6’5, 255 pounds | 7:27 a.m.
- Northeastern Oklahoma A&M defensive tackle Jamari Chisholm | *** | 6’5, 280 pounds | 7:44 a.m.
As usual, the Longhorn Network will provide coverage of National Signing Day:
LHN is live from a set in the Players Lounge of Moncrief-Neuhaus Athletic Center starting at 7 a.m. CT, with Lowell Galindo, Lifetime Longhorns and LHN analysts Emmanuel Acho and Ahmad Brooks. Brooks currently serves as a college football analyst and studio host for ESPNU, and is a regular contributor on Longhorn Network. Rounding out the coverage inside the Players Lounge is LHN reporter Alex Loeb and ESPN Staff Writer Max Olson.
At 2 p.m., the network will carry new head coach Tom Herman’s first Texas Football Signing Day Press Conference.
LHN wraps up all the news from the day with Longhorn Extra This Week: Signing Day Special at 7 p.m.
Full schedule of events and times for Longhorn Network’s Texas Football Signing Day coverage:
7 a.m.-11 a.m. — Texas Football Signing Day Live Presented by Cavender’s
2 p.m. — Texas Football Signing Day Press Conference
7 p.m. — Longhorn Extra This Week: Signing Day Special