The Texas Longhorns are at a pivotal point in the 2019 season.
Coming off of a narrow win over the Kansas Jayhawks, Texas sits at 5-2 with three of the next five games are on the road, including this weekend’s tilt against the TCU Horned Frogs. The banged up defense has allowed back-to-back 500-yard outings, forcing Sam Ehlinger and the offense to put up gaudy numbers of their own to keep up.
The Horned Frogs will try to establish the ground game early and often, leaning into its talented pair of running backs — Darius Anderson and Sewo Olonilua — to pace their offense. After giving up nearly 200 yards to Kansas running back Pooka Williams, look for Todd Orlando to try and clamp down to limit the TCU offense.
- What adjustments can the Texas defense make heading into the final stretch of the season?
- In spite of scheme questions, TCU has a ton of talent on the offense.
The strength of this team on offense is obviously the running attack, but if they can get more consistent through the air, it will definitely make it easier sledding on the ground for two very good players.
- The Longhorn Republic podcast looks for answers ahead of Saturday’s matchup.
- There are some struggles you can accept and some that you can’t as Texas struggles.
The Big 12 is a hard enough conference to defend — add in an extra contest against the likely Heisman-winner Joe Burrow and the high-powered LSU offense and it’s arguably unfair. Texas will end up facing the best offenses in all of college football this year. Nobody should have expected a Thorpe Award winner this season.
- Sophomore WR Joshua Moore (suspension) — out
- Freshman RB Jordan Whittington (groin) — out
- Freshman OL Reese Moore (knee) — out
- Junior DB Josh Thompson (foot) — out
- Sophomore S Caden Sterns (knee) — out
- Junior DB Chris Brown (arm) — out
- Senior LB Jeffrey McCulloch (shoulder) — out
- Sophomore S B.J. Foster (shoulder) — game-time decision
- Sophomore DB DeMarvion Overshown (back) — game-time decision
- Sophomore CB Jalen Green (shoulder) — cleared
How to Watch:
Time: 2:30 p.m. Central
Radio: Texassports.com. Broadcasts are also available on Sirius 132, XM 199, and App Ch. 953
Online Streaming: FOX Sports
Odds: Texas -1
Weather: High of 64 degrees and sunny