Here’s a roundup of the former Texas Longhorns who made an impact during last week’s slate of NFL games.
Notable Week 15 performances and highlights
- In a crucial AFC South divisional matchup, Tennessee Titans safety Kenny Vaccaro made a veteran play to put a halt to the Texans’ game-opening drive. He wisely baited Houston quarterback DeShaun Watson into forcing a throw to the endzone and then jumped the route for an interception.
- The Texans and Titans’ game fittingly ended with how it started — a former Longhorn making a play on defense. This time it was rookie interior defensive lineman Charles Omenihu, who sealed Houston’s win to move them one game closer to a divisional title on a game-ending sack – his third on the 2019 season.
God always has his perfect timing pic.twitter.com/gwsV2Aa9zQ— Charles Omenihu (@charless_94) December 15, 2019
- Seahawks defensive tackle Poona Ford continues to make his presence felt on early downs. He tipped a pass that led to an interception for linebacker K.J. Wright and recorded his fifth tackle for a loss on the year. Amazingly, this guy somehow went undrafted two years ago.
Poona Ford quick as hell. Splits gap and gets the TFL pic.twitter.com/Z5NPwbLdR1— Billy M (@BillyM_91) December 15, 2019
- Under snowy conditions in Kansas City, Broncos rookie tight end Andrew Beck recorded his first multi-catch game as a pro, hauling in two receptions for 13 yards, including a 10-yard sliding catch for a first down. While playing alongside tight ends Noah Fant and Troy Fumagalli, Beck has fought his way into a key blocking role as the Broncos’ fullback and wing tight end, a similar scheme to how he was used back in his college days at Texas.
- Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Alex Okafor notched his fifth sack of the season in a 23-3 win.
- Seattle Seahawks safety Quandre Diggs totaled eight tackles in a 30-24 win against the Panthers.
- En route to a 38-24 victory over the Cleveland Browns, Arizona Cardinals middle linebacker Jordan Hicks led his team in tackles (10).
- Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Marcus Johnson had two catches for 37 yards in a blowout loss to the New Orleans Saints on Monday night.
- Defensive back P.J. Locke was signed by the Denver Broncos on Tuesday morning. He’ll join his former Texas teammates and fellow rookies Andrew Beck and Calvin Anderson in the Mile High City.
The AFC and NFC Pro Bowl teams will be announced today at 4:00 p.m. CT on NFL Network. Specialists Justin Tucker (187,814 votes) and Michael Dickson (101,965 votes) led their positions in total fan votes this year.
Jordan Hicks, Earl Thomas, and Quandre Diggs are among the other former Longhorns who have performed well enough to be considered for a Pro Bowl selection this season.
Hicks — 131 tackles (5th in NFL), 9 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 3 INT
Thomas — 45 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 INT, 4 PBU, FF, FR
Diggs — 41 tackles, 3 INT, 3 PBU, FF, FR