Regardless of the records of the teams, the No. 22 Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma Sooners feed off of mutual hatred in the Cotton Bowl.
However, both teams carry some extra motivation heading into the annual rivalry matchup.
The Sooners are coming off of their first back-to-back conference losses in 20 years, leaving them tied for last in the conference. Redshirt freshman quarterback Spencer Rattler has thrown four interceptions in the last two games, half of the Sooners’ full-season total from a year ago.
For the Longhorns, quarterback Sam Ehlinger heads into the Cotton Bowl with a 1-2 record in the annual rivalry, in addition to an extra loss in the Big 12 Championship game. If Ehlinger wishes to hear his name mentioned among the Texas greats, he needs to beat Oklahoma and win a conference championship.
With a win over the Sooners, the Horns a chance to gain momentum, keep themselves alive in the hunt for a conference title, and perhaps end in the Oklahoma Big 12 title hopes for 2020.
“I’m the first to admit I made a lot of mistakes and I’m not trying to make anyone feel like I’m sitting on a high horse saying that everybody else is wrong, because I’m certainly wrong,” Ehlinger said. “I apologized for the mistakes that I made, but that’s the way it’s got to — be put the team before yourself and really focus on the details and take ownership of it.”
- The Longhorn Republic previews the matchup in Dallas.
- Week 4 Opponent Preview: Oklahoma Sooners.
- Tom Herman has a Lincoln Riley problem.
The fact is that Herman failed in an area that was a main selling point when he was hired, while Riley hasn’t missed a beat in his transition to overseeing the Oklahoma program and is still calling plays on gameday. Well, at least Riley hasn’t missed a beat until this 1-2 start to the 2020 season.
- Crimson and Cream Machine Q&A: Oklahoma is still looking for playmakers.
- Burnt Orange Nation Roundtable
- Sophomore LB Ayodele Adeoye (shoulder) — out
- Junior LB Reese Leitao (knee) — doubtful
- Sophomore S Tyler Owens (knee) — doubtful
- Sophomore RB Roschon Johnson (shoulder) — probable
- Redshirt freshman WR Jordan Whittington (knee) — probable
- Sophomore WR Joshua Moore (leg) — probable
How to Watch:
Time: 11 a.m. Central
Radio: Texassports.com. Broadcasts are also available on Sirius 132, XM 199, and App Ch. 953
Online Streaming: FoxSports.com
Odds: Oklahoma -2.5
Weather: 74 degrees and sunny