Texas Longhorns baseball is back – finally.
This evening, the Longhorns will take the mound against the Rice Owls for the opening weekend of the college baseball season. Texas, who finished 27-27 overall last season, is looking to improve during head coach David Pierce’s fourth season leading the program.
In 2018, the Longhorns clinched a Big 12 Championship. Today starts the climb to get back on top of that winning mountain – or mound, in this case – with the hope of taking it further.
Catch the game on Conference USA TV or on the radio at 104.9 The Horn.
WHAT THE WISE MEN ARE SAYING ABOUT THE LONGHORNS
Austin American-Statesman: The Dotted Line: Texas can cherry-pick running backs in the 2021 recruiting cycle
247Sports: Film Room: Evaluating recent offers
247Sports: The Flagship: Chris Del Conte on Tom Herman’s staff reboot
Sports Illustrated: Offense won’t change ‘guts’ or ‘bones’ under new OC Mike Yurcich
USA Today: Texas RB Bijan Robinson among top 10 playmakers in the 2020 class
NEWS FROM ELSEWHERE IN LONGHORN LAND AND THE BIG 12
- Despite how the Georgia Bulldogs are the favorite to land him, Texas has offered 2021 linebacker Barrett Carter out of Suwanee, Georgia. According to 247Sports, the four-star recruit is the 100th ranked player nationally. At 6-foot-1 inch and 210 pounds, with a 4.59 40-yard dash and 4.22 shuttle, it makes sense. Carter currently has roughly 53 offers.
- Recent offers didn’t stop with Carter. Texas has also offered 2021 four-star cornerback Jaylin Davies out of Santa Ana, California, who’s also received offers from the Alabama Crimson Tide (a favorite to land him), the UCLA Bruins and the Auburn Tigers, among a flurry of others. According to 247Sports, Davies is the No. 11 overall player in California in 2021.
- Texas women’s basketball will take on the Kansas Jayhawks in Lawrence this weekend. The Longhorns are hoping to get back on track after an embarrassing loss to the Iowa State Cyclones earlier this week. Tipoff is at 6 p.m. Saturday. Catch the game on ESPN+.
- Texas men’s basketball will travel to Ames to take on Iowa State this weekend. It’ll be a test for the bottom-feeding Longhorns, who are currently without Kai Jones, Jase Febres and Jericho Sims, who will be out for an undetermined amount of time due to a recent injury. Tipoff is at 1 p.m. Central Saturday. For those tuning in, you can watch the game on ESPN2.
Texas being down to just eight healthy scholarship players on February 13 cannot be good for either the Longhorns' NCAA Tournament chances or Shaka Smart's job security.https://t.co/f5eXr588AR— Walker Carey (@walkerRcarey) February 13, 2020
- Texas alum LaMarcus Aldridge of the San Antonio Spurs put up his 14th double-double of the season earlier this week (25 points, 14 rebounds and 3 assists.) See for yourself below.
LA led the way last night with his 14th double-double of the season— San Antonio Spurs (@spurs) February 12, 2020
25 PTS | 14 REB | 3 AST pic.twitter.com/Ui9zohJETD
- No. 6 Texas softball stayed perfect with a win over California Baptist at the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge in Mexico on Thursday. This time it was more competitive, though, as the Longhorns were actually forced to play the entire seven innings, in which pitcher Courtney Day allowed just four hits on the day. The team’s previous six wins were all run-rule victories. Texas will take on the Utah Utes and the No. 12 Tennessee Volunteers later today at 3 p.m. Central and 8:30 p.m. Central, respectively. Catch the games at FloSoftball.com.
BIG game day ahead for the Horns! #OneTeamOneTexas— Texas Softball (@TexasSoftball) February 14, 2020
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
3 p.m. CT/8:30 p.m. CT
- No. 7 Texas women’s tennis put on a clinic against Air Force at the Tennis Tennis Center on Thursday, sweeping them 7-0 after Bianca Turati clinched the match with a win in two sets.
That's another TEXAS sweep! The No. 7 Longhorns improve to 7⃣-1⃣ this spring with the 7-0 victory against Air Force.— Texas Women's Tennis (@TexasWTN) February 13, 2020
UT is back at the TTC on Sunday Brown at 1 pm CT. Admission is .
Sunday's match will be televised LIVE by @LonghornNetwork! #HookEm pic.twitter.com/3ZaV5XDtv0