It took eight innings to make it happen, but No. 3 Texas Longhorns softball team showed us what they’re made of as they walked away with a 6-4 win over the No. 1 UCLA Bruins.
Much of the defining win was thanks to Mary Iakopo and Lauren Burke hitting back-to-back home runs in the top of the eight inning, effectively ending UCLA’s 23-game winning streak.
Texas’ next test will be the No. 2 Washington Huskies at 5:45 p.m. Central today.
No. 1⃣ was fun, but it's time to focus on No. 2⃣! #OneTeamOneTexas— Texas Softball (@TexasSoftball) February 28, 2020
No. 2 Washington
Anderson Field/Fullerton, Calif.
5:45 p.m. CT
WHAT THE WISE MEN ARE SAYING ABOUT THE LONGHORNS
Austin American-Statesman: The Dotted Line Ranking the recruiting importance of each defensive position for Texas
Dallas Morning News: Texas defensive line outlook for 2020: What will Chris Ash, a 4-man front do for the Longhorns?
247Sports: The Eyes of Texas: Sources dish on O-line ahead of spring ball
247Sports: Texas discovered impressive freshman lefty pitcher via Twitter
247Sports: Texas lost in the fight heading to Lubbock to face Texas Tech
NEWS FROM ELSEWHERE IN LONGHORN LAND AND THE BIG 12
- Through two days of the Big 12 Championships in Morgantown, West Virginia, so far, both Texas swimming and diving teams lead by roughly 100 points. As for the No. 1 men’s team, they’re currently up 382 points to the West Virginia Mountaineers’ 291. The No. 10 women’s team is currently up 370 points to the Kansas Jayhawks’ 276. Day three is underway.
Day 3 of the Big 12 Champs!— Texas Men's Swimming & Diving (@TexasMSD) February 28, 2020
10 a.m. ET: Prelims
6 p.m. ET: Finals
Live Results: https://t.co/6uIKKqygc9
Watch (Finals): https://t.co/vZfsoQJNto pic.twitter.com/LKyCzYkFda
- Texas women’s basketball will take on the Oklahoma Sooners this weekend at the Frank Erwin Center. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. Central. Catch the game on the Longhorn Network, livestream on ESPN’S app, or tune in at 105.3 FM. Texas leads the series 34-25.
"This year, more than ever, I've just tried to live out everything I came here to do." @JoynerTooTall | #AllForTexas pic.twitter.com/IGEwSYqS5v— Texas Women's Basketball (@TexasWBB) February 28, 2020
- Texas men’s basketball will travel to Lubbock to take on the No. 22 Texas Tech Red Raiders this weekend. After winning three in a row – against the TCU Horned Frogs, the Kansas State Wildcats and West Virginia – the Longhorns are still in the hunt for an NCAA Tournament berth this season. If they’re to do it, though, a win over Texas Tech is critical. Tipoff is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday. You can watch the game on ESPN.
#FridayFeeling @gerald_liddell @JaseFebres @242_jones @STG_Stretch pic.twitter.com/NoiWxzGvMU— Texas Men's Basketball (@TexasMBB) February 28, 2020
- Texas baseball is in for another busy weekend at the Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic in Houston at Minute Maid Park, where they’ll face the SEC’s No. 11 LSU Tigers on Friday, the No. 6 Arkansas Razorbacks on Saturday, and the Missouri Tigers on Sunday. All games will be played at 7 p.m. on their own respective days. Tune in if your TV provider regularly airs the Houston Astros games, on MLB.com, or at 104.9 FM The Horn.
GAMEDAY IN HOUSTON!— Texas Baseball (@TexasBaseball) February 28, 2020
Minute Maid Park
- As if we aren’t aware, Texas ex receiver Devin Duvernay has a pair of wheels underneath him. But for safety’s sake, check out his 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine on Thursday.
.@TexasFootball WR Devin Duvernay runs a 4.40u 40-yard dash @Dev_Duv5— NFL (@NFL) February 27, 2020
: #NFLCombine on @NFLNetwork pic.twitter.com/UxzqgT4hPQ