According to CBS Sports, Texas still has what it takes to qualify for the NCAA Tournament.
From CBS Sports: “More surprisingly, we welcome Texas back to the bracket. The Longhorns, a No. 12 seed, looked dead to rights after a 29-point loss at Iowa State on Feb. 15. Since then, Texas has won four in a row, including a win at home over slumping West Virginia and at Texas Tech on Saturday. The latter is the Longhorns’ best win of the season. Texas still has work to do if it hopes to stay in the bracket, but this has been a pretty good late run for a team thought to be done and without its leading rebounder, Jericho Sims.”
WHAT THE WISE MEN ARE SAYING ABOUT THE LONGHORNS
Austin American-Statesman: With so many injuries, Texas’ Shaka Smart has element of surprise working for Longhorns
Austin American-Statesman: The Dotted Line: Texas, Kansas State lead the Big 12 early in the 2021 recruiting race
Austin American-Statesman: How did Texas fare at the 2020 NFL Combine?
Dallas Morning News: Tom Herman’s side trip to South Bend shows he is serious about Texas’ turnaround
247Sports: The Stampede: Texas recruiting quick hits to start the spring
NEWS FROM ELSEWHERE IN LONGHORN LAND AND THE BIG 12
- Despite having beat both teams ahead of them last week, Texas softball (20-3) remains ranked No. 3 in the NFCA’s national poll, behind the UCLA Bruins and the Washington Huskies. But that’s only one-third of the story, as the Longhorns were also ranked No. 2 overall in ESPN and USA Softball’s poll, and No. 1 overall by the Softball America.
WE'RE NO. 1⃣!! Texas climbs into the top spot in this week's @SoftbalAmerica Top 25 poll! Check out all our rankings:— Texas Softball (@TexasSoftball) March 3, 2020
No. 1⃣ - @SoftbalAmerica
No. 2⃣ - @espn/@USASoftball (five first-place votes)
No. 3⃣ - @USATODAY/@NFCAorg (two first-place votes)#OneTeamOneTexas | #HookEm pic.twitter.com/un9eqQiept
- After a 1-2 finish at the Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic over the weekend, in which the Longhorns fell to the LSU Tigers and the Missouri Tigers but beat the Arkansas Razorbacks, Texas (10-2) will host the Arizona Wildcats (7-4) at home today.
Home sweet home tonight!— Texas Baseball (@TexasBaseball) March 3, 2020
UFCU Disch-Falk Field
#HookEm | #OwnTheDisch pic.twitter.com/45XwWQ6DOo
- Texas men’s basketball travels to Norman tonight to take on the Oklahoma Sooners. For the Longhorns, it’s a do-or-die moment if they’re to make the NCAA Tournament this season.
GAME DAY !!! Red. River. Showdown.— Texas Men's Basketball (@TexasMBB) March 3, 2020
⏰ 8 pm CT
#HookEm | #AllForTexas pic.twitter.com/PIfRGx6bqk
- Texas freshman guard Celeste Taylor is getting the recognition she deserves. Earlier this week, she was named to a share of the Big 12’s player of the week award with the Baylor Bears’ Lauren Cox. Taylor also received the Big 12’s weekly honor for freshmen, making her and Kansas guard Holly Kersgieter the only players to win both in a single week.
Congratulations to @_celeste620 on being named Big 12 Co-Player of the Week and Big 12 Freshman of the Week! #AllForTexas pic.twitter.com/VGt9i9FjgV— Texas Women's Basketball (@TexasWBB) March 2, 2020
- Andrew Jones is getting his share of recognition, too.
Jones paced @TexasMBB with career-highs of 22 points in two crucial wins.— Big 12 Conference (@Big12Conference) March 2, 2020
His efforts helped the Longhorns win back-to-back games against AP Top 25 opponents for the first time since the 2013-14 season.
Andrew Jones (@DrewdotCash) is the #Big12MBB Player of the Week. pic.twitter.com/bd901JE5im
- Junior guard Jase Febres will undergo surgery tomorrow, per Smart.
The latest on the knee injury that Donovan Williams aggravated on Saturday as Jase Febres prepares for knee surgery on Wednesday. #Longhorns https://t.co/mLdc7Dwm1Q— Burnt Orange Nation (@BON_SBNation) March 3, 2020