Texas senior pitcher Miranda Elish made history over the weekend as she threw her second career perfect game, striking out 10, as the Longhorns faced off against the New Mexico Lobos.
It was the second time Elish has thrown a perfect game during her career at Texas. She’s also now just the fourth Texas pitcher to toss a perfect game in program history, joining the likes of greats like Texas exes Cat Osterman and Blaire Luna and teammate Shea O’Leary.
The last time a Texas pitcher threw a perfect game was on May 21, 2005 at McCombs Field, when Osterman stayed perfect on the mound against the Mississippi State Bulldogs.
WHAT THE WISE MEN ARE SAYING ABOUT THE LONGHORNS
Austin American-Statesman: The Dotted Line: An early look at Texas’ 2022 offensive offers
Austin American-Statesman: Bohls: Texas rides Merryman, strong bullpen to sweep
Austin American-Statesman: Bohls: Streak, maybe the season, is over; when is enough enough for Texas, Shaka?
Austin American-Statesman: Golden: Aston knows senior leadership will tell Texas’ NCAA tale
Dallas Morning News: Texas’ NCAA Tournament fate uncertain after blowout loss to Oklahoma State
Dallas Morning News: Big 12 Tournament quarterfinal carries major implications for Texas, Texas Tech
Sports Illustrated: Looking at Texas’ potential path through the Big 12 Tournament
Sports Illustrated: Notes from a disappointing finale
247Sports: The Stampede: Weekend visitor recap, QB recruiting update
247Sports: Chip’s Mailbag: Any talk of Big 12/Pac-12 realignment?
247Sports: Joe Lunardi updates Texas projection for NCAA tourney
USA Today: Kansas coach Bill Self predicts Texas to make the NCAA Tournament
NEWS FROM ELSEWHERE IN LONGHORN LAND AND THE BIG 12
- Texas softball snagged two wins at the Texas Invitational over the weekend. The Longhorns beat out the Texas Southern Tigers 13-5 in six innings to start the weekend. They then followed up with a 3-0 win over the Liberty Eagles and a 7-0 win over New Mexico.
PERFECT GAME MIRANDA ELISH!!!! @elish_miranda strikes out 10 while tossing her third career no-hitter & second career perfect game in a 7-0 win over New Mexico!— Texas Softball (@TexasSoftball) March 8, 2020
That's the 50th all-time no-hitter and 11th perfect game in Texas program history! #OneTeamOneTexas pic.twitter.com/LIdodlv148
- Texas baseball (13-3) swept the Cal Fullerton Titans over the weekend during a three-game series. It’s the Longhorns’ third time to sweep a weekend series this season. It was also largely thanks to Texas’ strong bullpen, in which Texas pitcher Dawson Merryman capped off the weekend by pitching four hitless innings on Sunday at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.
- No. 3 Texas men’s tennis had a successful weekend. On Friday, they beat the No. 43 Tulane Green Wave, 5-2. The Longhorns then followed that win up with another win over the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes on Saturday (6-1) and yet another over the Rice Owls on Sunday (6-1).
And there it is!!! Texas sweeps the singles matches for a 6️⃣-1️⃣ win over Rice! The Longhorns are now 13-3 and will be back at the Texas Tennis Center on Saturday for a top- matchup against No. 9️⃣ Columbia at 12 p.m. CT! #HookEm pic.twitter.com/tsmddirfyG— Texas Men's Tennis (@TexasMTN) March 8, 2020
- Texas women’s basketball capped off their regular season with a 63-52 win over the Oklahoma State Cowboys at the Frank Erwin Center. Senior forward Joyner Holmes and sophomore forward Charli Collier both ended the night with double-doubles, with Holmes scoring 17 points and snatching 10 rebounds and with Collier scoring 13 points of her own while pulling down 11 rebounds. Senior guard Sug Sutton also finished with double figures. Texas women’s basketball also earned the No. 3 seed in the 2020 Phillips 66 Big 12 Women’s Basketball Championship in Kansas City later this month, the university announced.
- Texas men’s basketball fell 81-59 to Oklahoma State over the weekend at the Frank Erwin Center, snapping their five-game win streak through the end of the regular season Big 12 play. Freshman forward Kai Jones was the stud of the night, scoring a career-high 20 points. Junior guard Matt Coleman also posted a respectable 18 points in his 38 minutes of play.
- Four men’s basketball players earned All-Big 12 honors. Junior guard Matt Coleman was named to the All-Big 12 third-team, while redshirt sophomore Andrew Jones, sophomore guard Courtney Ramey and junior forward Jericho Sims earned honorable mention honors.
- Former Longhorn Cedric Reed, now a defensive lineman for the XFL’s Los Angeles Wildcats, forced a fumble against Tampa Bay Vipers over the weekend. Check the play out below: