Texas head coach Tom Herman said not to overreact to the opener against UTEP, but it’s hard not to get excited about that opener. Quarterback Sam Ehlinger set personal bests, leading the Longhorns to their most impressive opener under Herman.
On the other sideline, the Red Raiders struggled in their opener against Houston Baptist, stopping a late-game two-point conversion by the Huskies. The offense was relatively potent, but HBU torched the Tech defense for more than 600 yards
“To tell you the truth, I’m actually pretty disappointed,” Ehlinger said. “I left a lot of throws out there that I should’ve made and I can’t wait for the bye week to continue to get better.
- Week 2 opponent preview: Texas Tech
- The Longhorn Republic previews Texas Tech
- Viva the Matadors Q&A: Wells and Texas Tech need a quick turnaround
It was that bad of a performance that can’t really be explained. Wells better hope this team shows something against Texas and over the length of the season. If not, next year will be a hot seat year.
- Sophomore WR Jake Smith (hamstring) — out
- Sophomore WR Jordan Whittington (knee) — out
- Freshman WR Kelvontay Dixon (ankle) — out
How to Watch:
Time: 2:30 p.m. Central
Radio: Texassports.com. Broadcasts are also available on Sirius 132, XM 199, and App Ch. 953
Online Streaming: Fox.com/Sports
Odds: Texas -17.5
Weather: 92 degrees and sunny