After starting the season 2-1, the Texas Longhorns kick off the grind of Big 12 play Saturday at home against the Texas Tech Red Raiders. However, these aren’t the Texas Tech Red Raiders of recent memory.
The Red Raiders are led by their defense, specifically their run defense, currently sitting second in the conference in rush defense — allowing just 1.73 yards per attempt. That average may be floated by recent matchups against the FIU Panthers and the SFA Lumberjacks. Led by a talented group of linebackers — including Colin Schooler and Riko Jeffers — can Tech bring that same level of intensity to Austin?
- Texas Tech Preview: Horns need to slow down Red Raiders rushing attack
- Preparation, patience paying off for Texas QB Casey Thompson
But even as Thompson tried to give himself some space to mentally process the setback after a close competition throughout preseason camp, he watched a couple football games and did what he always does — he watched some film.
Then he got back to work in earnest on Monday with an eye on taking advantage of his next opportunity.
- Podcast: Previewing the Texas Tech Red Raiders
- Viva the Matadors Q&A: Linebackers Leading the Charge
The linebacker group is just insane. Riko Jeffers and Colin Schooler were dominant enough, but the group has tremendous depth. Teams have just not been able to get past them. The most success running the ball has been trying to attack the perimeter, but the secondary has been coming down hard in run support.
- Freshman WR Jaden Alexis (knee) — out
- Sophomore TE Brayden Liebrock (shoulder) — out
- RS Freshman WR Troy Omeire (knee) — out
- Sophomore DB Jahdae Barron (knee) — out
- Freshman DB Ishmael Ibraheem (knee) — out
How to Watch:
Time: 11:00 a.m. Central
Radio: Texassports.com. Broadcasts are also available on Sirius 132, XM 199, and App Ch. 953
Online Streaming: WatchESPN
Odds: The Longhorns are currently a 9.5-point favorite at FanDuel sportsbook
Weather: 92 degrees and sunny