However, like so many other games this year, there is some baggage that the Longhorns bring with them on Friday. Their last trip to Lawrence ended in disaster, with the Jayhawks topping the Longhorns for just the third time and the first time since the inception of the Big 12. Seniors contributors like Charles Omenihu — who prominently aired his frustrations following that loss — have yet another demon to exorcise before their work in burnt orange is concluded.
Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger is on the mend after re-aggravating a shoulder injury from earlier in the season, but outside of that injury, the Longhorns are healthier than they’ve been in recent memory. The Longhorns’ defensively have to find a way to slow down Kansas running back Pooka Williams Jr., who ran roughshod over the Oklahoma defense a week ago.
- After throwing in practice Tuesday, Sam Ehlinger is expected to play against the Jayhawks.
- Texas head coach Tom Herman said the loss to the Kansas Jayhawks felt like it was 50 years ago.
- Strength and Conditioning coach Yancy McKnight challenged the team after the defensive struggles.
“At this point, you could tell he was kind of fed up,” defensive tackle Chris Nelson said on Tuesday. “He knows what he built us up to be and how we worked and trained for it. He just took everything out and told us straight up, doing what he’s always been doing — keeping it real with us. That’s what we love him for.”
- The Texas defense has to find a way to slow down dynamic freshman Pooka Williams if the Longhorns want to win Saturday.
- The BON staff finally agrees on something, and they expect to see Texas in Arlington next weekend.
- Offensive line coach Herb Hand has been instrumental in the Longhorns’ offensive turnaround.
Just the way that he teaches us to combo block and stuff like that is very technical. He brings a lot to the table. He always has a technique he teaches us to finish a block off or to wall a guy off or something.”
- The Longhorn Republic tries to take lessons learned against Iowa State and apply them to the game against Kansas.
- Senior linebacker Gary Johnson will miss the game due to a violation of team rules.
- Freshman WR Joshua Moore (shoulder) — out
- Sophomore OL Patrick Hudson (illness) — out
- Freshman TE Rob Cummins (knee) — out
- Sophomore LB/DE Marquez Bimage (shoulder) — out
- Sophomore QB Sam Ehlinger (shoulder) — expected to play
- Senior CB Kris Boyd (knee contusion) — available
- Senior DT Chris Nelson (knee contusion — available
- Senior RB Tre Watson (hip contusion) — available
How to Watch:
TV: Fox Sports 1
Time: 11:00 a.m. Central
Radio: Texassports.com. Broadcasts are also available on Sirius 132, XM 199, and App Ch. 953
Online Streaming: Fox Sports Go
Odds: Texas -15.5
Weather: 50 degrees and cloudy with a 25 percent chance of rain and 15 mph winds