The Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma Sooners never get an opportunity to renew hostilities because the hostilities never truly subside, but 10 months of back-and-forth come to a head on Saturday.
A year ago, the Longhorns and the Sooners split the season series, with Texas taking the regular season matchup and the Sooners claiming the Big 12 Championship game. This year could potentially be the same story with a second verse, as Texas and Oklahoma look to be the class of the conference.
Oklahoma, led by quarterback Jalen Hurts, looks to assert its dominance on the offensive side of the ball, with the nation’s top offense (648.3 YPG) and the No. 2 scoring offense in the country. They have been able to get the job done on the defensive side of the ball, as well, but they have not played a team with the firepower that Texas brings to the table.
- The Oklahoma Sooners will spread the field against Texas and try to exploit their speed.
Riley will use everything from three- and four-wide receiver sets to formations that include two tight ends or two running backs. The offense can attack a defense in a number of ways, and the versatility is one reason Riley’s Oklahoma offenses have been so potent.
- The Longhorn Republic breaks down the matchup against the Oklahoma Sooners.
- Juwuan Mitchell is quickly becoming a big piece of the Texas defense.
- Lincoln Riley is getting the most out of Jalen Hurts’ skillset this year.
Riley has always done a great job of adjusting his scheme to suit his personnel, which includes accentuating his quarterback’s strength while veiling his weaknesses.
- This new wrinkle in the Texas offense to get yardage from the quarterback position.
- Texas heads into the Red River Showdown with a new captain.
- Sophomore WR Joshua Moore (suspension) — out
- Freshman RB Jordan Whittington (groin) — out
- Freshman OL Reese Moore (knee) — out
- Junior DB Josh Thompson (foot) — out
- Sophomore S Caden Sterns (knee) — out
How to Watch:
Time: 11 a.m. Central
Radio: Texassports.com. Broadcasts are also available on Sirius 132, XM 199, and App Ch. 953
Online Streaming: Fox Sports App
Odds: Oklahoma -10.5
Weather: High of 67 degrees and sunny