Under Tom Herman and his coaching staff, the mantra for the Texas Longhorns is the 1-0 mentality, focusing on just one opponent and not thinking about the next game until the appropriate time. As they travel for their first true road game of the season against the West Virginia Mountaineers with the Red River Showdown against the Oklahoma Sooners looming, the single-game mindset must come front-and-center.
The Mountaineers are rebuilding under new coach Neil Brown, but OU transfer Austin Kendall has shown some ability to move the offense down the field, utilizing redshirt freshman Sam James as a primary Target.
For Texas, the game against West Virginia is another opportunity to right the few wrongs of the 2018 season after a late-game loss to the Mountaineers. Quarterback Sam Ehlinger has been better than advertised, while sophomore running back Keaontay Ingram looks to build off of a breakout game against the Oklahoma State Cowboys.
- Sam James emerging as a consistent target for Kendall.
- The coaches won’t make changes on punt returns.
- West Virginia will lean on its playmakers to try and keep things close with Texas.
The West Virginia offense isn’t necessarily an explosive unit but it does have a few playmakers and a capable quarterback in grad transfer Austin Kendall. After learning Lincoln Riley was recruiting yet another transfer quarterback, Kendall transferred to Morgantown in January of this year
- Preview the game with the Longhorn Republic podcast.
- The H-Receiver is becoming a lynchpin for the Texas offense.
“They’re all going to get enough touches when you do that. It’s the quarterback’s job to distribute the football on time and to the open guy based on coverage and scheme. Sam’s done a good job of doing that and has been able to execute.”
- Sophomore WR Joshua Moore (suspension) — out
- Freshman RB Jordan Whittington (groin) — out
- Freshman OL Reese Moore (knee) — out
- Junior DB Josh Thompson (foot) — out
- Sophomore S Caden Sterns (knee) — out
- RS Freshman S DeMarvion Overshown (back) — doubtful
- Senior WR Collin Johnson (hamstring) — game-time decision
- Sophomore S B.J. Foster (hamstring) — probable
How to Watch:
Time: 2:30 p.m. Central
Radio: Texassports.com. Broadcasts are also available on Sirius 132, XM 199, and App Ch. 953
Online Streaming: WatchESPN
Odds: Texas -10.5
Weather: High of 73 degrees and sunny