Throughout the morning, National Letters of Intent will flow into the Texas Longhorns football offices as committed prospects put pen to paper and officially become Longhorns on National Signing Day.
And though most of the Texas commits were solid entering the day, the Tuesday evening news that Houston Lamar safety John Bonney isn't as solid as he may have expressed to a fellow commit during his visit over the weekend put Bonney on the watch list for the morning.
Otherwise, there aren't expected to be any surprises with the currently committed prospects following the Tuesday morning decommitment Keller defensive end Sione Teuhema, along with his younger brother, five-star offensive lineman Maea Teuhema.
Why Nelson, Ford would be rare NSD additions
Not only does Texas not have any defensive tackles committed in 2014, but the two possible additions would be unprecedented in the last decade.
Here's the list of those current commits:
- Jerrod Heard, Denton Guyer quarterback (faxed at 7:26 a.m.)
- Donald Catalon, Aldine Eisenhower running back (faxed at 7:50 a.m.)
- D'Onta Foreman, Texas City running back (faxed at 7:40 a.m.)
- Kevin Shorter, Newton running back* (faxed at 10:46 a.m.)
- Roderick Bernard, Sharpstown wide receiver (faxed at 7:20 a.m.)
- Armanti Foreman, Texas City wide receiver (faxed at 7:40 a.m.)
- Garrett Gray, Marble Falls wide receiver (faxed at 8:20 a.m.)
- Lorenzo Joe, Abilene Cooper wide receiver (faxed at 7:07 a.m.)
- Dorian Leonard, Longview wide receiver (faxed at 9:08 a.m.)
- Blake Whiteley, Arizona Western CC tight end (early enrollee)
- Alex Anderson, New Orleans (La.) O Perry Walker offensive lineman (early enrollee)
- Terrell Cuney, Jasper center (faxed at 10:22 a.m.)
- Elijah Rodriguez, Houston Cypress Creek offensive tackle (faxed at 8:51 a.m.)
- Chris Nelson, Lakeland (Fla.) Victory Christian defensive tackle (faxed at 8:41 a.m.)
- Jake McMillon, Abilene defensive lineman (faxed at 7:15 a.m.)
- Derick Roberson, San Antonio Brennan defensive end (faxed at (9:35 a.m.)
- Andrew Beck, Tampa (Fla.) Plant linebacker (early enrollee)
- Edwin Freeman, Arlington Bowie safety/outside linebacker (faxed at 8:03 a.m.)
- Cameron Hampton, Dallas Carter linebacker (faxed at 8:13 a.m.)
- Jermaine Roberts, New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine cornerback (faxed at 7:55 a.m.)
- John Bonney, Houston Lamar safety (faxed at 9:55 a.m.)
- Jason Hall, South Grand Prairie safety (faxed at 7:58 a.m.)
*Shorter is still listed as a commit in some places, but it's not clear whether or not he will sign because his football career is likely over following a spinal cord bruise sustained during a game last fall.
Then, in one late-morning announcement and another early afternoon announcement, the final two defensive tackle targets, Hilton Head Island (S.C.) Hilton Head's Poona Ford (11:30 a.m. CT on the @ESPNU Twitter handle) and Lakeland (Fla.) Victory Christian's Chris Nelson (1:15 p.m.), will decide whether they will both follow new head coach Charlie Strong to Texas, as both are former Louisville commits.
Other pledges of interest for Texas fans include former target Solomon Thomas, the star Coppell defensive end who is down to Arkansas, Stanford, and UCLA, who will announce at 7 a.m. on ESPNU, former defensive end commit Sione Teuhema at 8 a.m., and former defensive tackle commit Trey Lealaimatafao at 8:30 a.m.
A full list of commitments televised on ESPN are available here and may be subject to change, because this is recruiting, after all.
The Longhorn Network will also be providing wall-to-wall coverage of Signing Day starting at 8 a.m. CT and ending at noon, while Charlie Strong's press conference will air on that network and stream live online at 2 p.m. CT, at which point the Strong will have known for only about 30 minutes or so how his class shaped up at the end with the pledge of Nelson happening just before.
It may not feel like it after all the decommitments recently, but this is still Christmas Day for recruitniks and a look into the future of the program -- it's the players who sign on Wednesday that will ultimately determine the future of the Stronghorns.
- Texas targets Poona Ford and Chris Nelson to decide on National Signing Day
- Mack Brown denies telling Texas recruits to look around
- Elijah Rodriguez flips from Colorado to Texas
- Report: Former Houston QB Bram Kohlhausen joining Texas as a walk on
- Mack Brown Encouraged Recruits to Look Around At Other Schools