For the first time since the spring game, the Texas Longhorns are set to host a small army of prospects for a major recruiting weekend. Nearly two dozen targets representing both, the 2019 and 2020 classes, will be in attendance, and among that bunch is a handful of highly touted Texas commits.
- Jordan Whittington — 4-star WR — Cuero — Texas commit
- Kenyatta Watson II — 4-star CB — Loganville (Ga.) Grayson — Texas commit
- Roschon Johnson — 4-star QB — Port Neches-Groves — Texas commit
- Javonne Shepherd — 4-star OT — Houston North Forest
- Lewis Cine — 4-star S — Cedar Hill Trinity Christian School — OV
- David Gbenda — 4-star ILB — Katy Cinco Ranch
- Jermaine Johnson — 4-star WDE — Independence C.C. (Kan.)
- Maninoa Tufono — 4-star ILB — Honolulu (Hawaii) Punahou
- Rian Davis — 4-star OLB — Apopka (Fla) Wekiva — OV
- T’Vondre Sweat — 3-star SDE — Hunstville — Texas commit
- Jared Wiley — 3-star TE — Temple — Texas commit
- Taurean Carter — 3-star SDE — Mansfield Legacy
- Peter Mpagi — 3-star WDE — Richmond George Ranch
- Chris Akporoghene — 3-star OT — Bradenton (Fla) IMG Academy
Javonne Shepherd is expected to arrive in Austin on Saturday following a Friday trip to College Station. With Shepherd’s commitment date expected to come later this month, this weekend could prove especially impactful for Texas’ chances at closing the deal. The Longhorns are currently considered the frontrunners, but the edge isn’t overwhelming.
Taurean Carter is another name to keep an eye on, as he’s cousins with four-star Texas cornerback target and top 100 prospects Jeffery Carter. The two plan on playing together in college and at this point, Texas is the only team that the the two each have in their top group. Similarly, weak-side defensive end Peter Mpagi could be on commitment watch. Just weeks ago, Mpagi named Texas in his top eight, and he did so without a Longhorns offer. That offer finally came on Thursday, and all signs point towards Texas being the team to beat. The Longhorns could seal the deal with a strong weekend.
- Zachary Evans — 5-star RB — Houston North Shore
- Hudson Card — 4-star QB — Austin Lake Travis — Texas commit
- Demond Demas — 4-star WR — Houston North Forest
- Chris Johnson Jr. — 4-star S — Duncanville
- Ja’Quinden Jackson — 4-star QB — Duncanville
- Mookie Cooper — 4-star RB — Saint Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic
- Chad Lindberg — 4-star OT — League City Clear Creek
- Alec Bryant — 4-star WDE — Pearland Shadow Creek
- Jaylen Garth — 3-star OT — Port Neches-Groves
- Princely Umanmielen — 3-star SDE — Manor
For the first time, Texas has a 2020 class leader to help recruit while on campus in the form of Lake Travis product Hudson Card. Expect Card to spend some time in the ears of top targets such as Demond Demas and Chris Johnson, which are each atop the Longhorns 2020 big board and their respective positions.
- Latrell Neville — Unranked WR — Missouri City Willowridge
Visit confirmations courtesy of Twitter, The Football Brainiacs.