The Texas Longhorns entered July in search of some summer success on the recruiting trail.
It’s safe to say Tom Herman’s staff enjoyed just that.
Texas’ 2020 class quickly ballooned to double figures, while what was previously a one-man 2021 haul became an actual class of home-grown talent for Texas to build around. How did the Horns go from casually strolling through the summer to surging?
- 7/9 — 2021 TE Lake McRee: Despite initially aiming to enjoy the recruiting process, local Lake Travis TE Lake McRee made a surprise pledge to Texas, making the first addition of the month.
- 7/9 — 2020 OLB Prince Dorbah: In a planned and much-anticipated pledge, the Dallas Highland Park product sided with Texas over options including Oklahoma and LSU, doing such just hours after McRee’s decision.
- 7/17 — 2020 DT Vernon Broughton: Following a quite week for the Horns, Vernon Broughton made the move most expected with his commitment to Texas over options including Texas A&M and Arkansas, providing Texas with one of its most significant pledges of the 2020 cycle.
- 7/18 — 2020 SDE Van Fillinger: As Broughton’s recruitment came to a close, Texas suddenly began trending with Van Fillinger, a polished multi-positional edge rusher out of Utah. Though unexpected, his pledge provided the Horns with their first out-of-state addition.
- 7/21 — 2021 QB Jalen Milroe: By both ranking (No. 69) and reputation, Jalen Milroe surfaced as the headliner of the Horns’ 2021 class, seemingly just days after he appeared headed to Alabama. Milroe’s commitment marked the first of three 2021 pledges in six days.
- 7/23 — 2021 OT Hayden Connor: Less than 36 hours after Milroe’s announcement, the Longhorns landed a fellow Katy product in Hayden Connor. The top 175 national prospect was thought to be a Texas A&M lean before his surprise pledge.
- 7/24 — 2020 OT Andrej Karic: In a move that seemingly capped Texas’ 2020 offensive line class, the Longhorns landed their second offensive tackle in as many days in Andrej Karic. Fewer than two months seperated Karic adding an offer and announcing his pledge.
- 7/26 — 2021 TE Juan Davis: Yet another surprise addition came in the form of 6’4, 217-pound pass-catcher Juan Davis. The sure-handed Fort Worth native is listed as a tight end, but Davis is a versatile talent who, boasting Lil’Jordan Humphrey-like size, typically aligns in the slot.
- 7/31 — 2021 ATH Billy Bowman: The fireworks on the Forty Acres continued through the final day of the month, as dynamic Denton Ryan standout Billy Bowman became the final addition of the month. The commitment came during his second trip to Austin of the week.
Courtesy of a strong surge throughout the previous month, Texas’ 2020 class jumped from No. 31 nationally to No. 20, while the 2021 crop of recruits is currently headlines the Big 12 is sits as the second-best bunch in the nation.
While the latter will likely see a regression in momentum as the 2019 season inches nearer, August should provide more fireworks around the Forty Acres, and in short order. After seemingly being set on taking his talents to Ohio State, five-star Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson is trending heavily to Texas ahead of his Friday decision. Shortly thereafter, on Sunday, Duncanville star safety Chris Thompson Jr. will bring his recruitment to a close, and he, too, is overwhelmingly projected to pick Texas.
If Texas lands both Robinson and Thompson, the Horns’ 2020 class will climb to No. 7 nationally and No. 1 in the Big 12.